Prepared by Mrs. Joe Huddleston
Crooked Run is situated in Fayette County, two miles from the county seat, Fayetteville. Its name has been attained from the creek which is a part of it. The land is well adapted for agricultural purposes, since the mountains were flattened out for us more than in some other sections of our county. Being in the heart of a coal region, there is always an available market for our supplies. The C. & 0. Railway passes within six miles of our community, while the Virginian may be reached from Oak Hill.
All of the land in this community at one time belonged to the Stuart Survey. The very first settler that we have any knowledge of was a Mr. Jenkins who lived on a farm bought in 1833 by Isaac Bays. Jenkins, not finding a better shelter, moved out and lived under a nearby cliff. A baby child died soon after and was buried in one of the large crevices of this cliff and its body covered with moss. This farm is still owned by the Bays heir.
In 1835 Samuel Perkins, Andrew Dozier, and Daniel Dozier bought and owned the places now known as "the old poor farm" and the farm of O. B. Short. Nicholas Coleman, Mark Hambrick, and Jacob Griffith were other early settlers.
1850 to 1870 seem to have been the years when most of the older settlers came and first broke sod. Benjamin Summerfield built the first water mill in the community in 1855. Jacob Sanger came at the same time and planted a large vineyard, made and sold wine for a living. Even in those early days the earth was made to grow small fruits that thrive so well today.
The first school house was built of round-logs, on the farm now owned by Mrs. Lewis Evans. The first teacher was W. C. Bays in the year 1855. This building was used as the worshipping place of the community for many years. Not until 1912 was a church built. Rev. Coleman was the first pastor in this church. He is now at Beckley.
A Four-H Club was organized in the community in 1920. Mrs. C. C. Holliday has been very helpful and quite a lot of credit is due her for its success. Several club members have gone to the State Camp at Jackson's Mill.
A Farm Women's Club was organized in 1924, with Mrs. E. W. Amick as president. A great deal of progress has been made in just this short time.
Community Histories Index