The West Virginia Commission on the Arts of the West Virginia Division of Culture and History (WVDCH) is soliciting nominations for the 2006 Governor’s Arts Awards. All West Virginians are encouraged to nominate individual artists, organizations and communities for seven categories of awards to be presented at a ceremony on Monday, April 3, 2006, at the Cultural Center in the State Capitol Complex in Charleston.
The award categories are as follows:
• Distinguished Arts Award for lifetime (at least 20 years) achievement
in the arts;
• Arts Patron Award for outstanding individual or organizational contributions of time, effort or financial resources to the arts;
• Arts in Education or Service to Youth Award for significant individual or organizational achievements in providing arts education in or out of schools, or arts services to youth;
• Creative Community Spirit Award for a city, town or community-wide non-arts organization using the arts in a significant way for community development or betterment;
• Arts Leadership and Service Award for exceptional and visionary individual or arts organizational leadership and service in the arts;
• Artistic Excellence Award for significant contributions to the arts in West Virginia by either an established or emerging artist; and
• Arts Innovator Award for an individual, group, organization or educator who has successfully executed innovative methods of involving the public in arts experiences.
For more information or to request a nomination form, see the Division’s website at www.wvculture.org or call Debbie Rainey Haught at (304) 558-0240 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Download the PDF form here. The NEW deadline for nominations is Dec. 21, 2005.
The WVDCH, an agency of the West Virginia Department of Education and the Arts, brings together the state’s past, present and future through programs and services in the areas of archives and history, the arts, historic preservation and museums. The Division of Culture and History is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Deputy Commissioner/Communications Manager
West Virginia Division of Culture and History
The Cultural Center
1900 Kanawha Blvd., East
Charleston, WV 25305
Phone (304) 558-0220, ext. 120
Fax (304) 558-2779