The State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) of the West Virginia Division of Culture and History has published “West Virginia’s Architects and Builders 2002,” a calendar highlighting historic structures, districts, monuments and archaeological sites across the state. The 13-month full-color calendar is free while supplies last.
Each month, the calendar highlights an historic West Virginia structure and the architect or builder associated with that structure. Featured sites include Albert’s Chapel in Calhoun County, Capitol Theatre in Wheeling, the West Virginia Children’s Home in Elkins, Cass Historic District in Pocahontas County, Continental Clay Brick Plant and Green Hill Cemetery in Martinsburg, the Mouth of Seneca Archaeological Site in Pendleton County, Alderson Bridge in Alderson, the Tucker County Courthouse in Parsons, the Whipple Company Store in Whipple, the Ricketts House in Huntington, the John E. Arbuckle House in Glenville and the United Carbon Building in Charleston. The calendar also includes a brief summary of state and federal historic preservation laws.
To request a copy of the calendar, write to Lora Lamarre, WVDCH, The Cultural Center, 1900 Kanawha Blvd., East, Charleston, WV 25305-0300; call (304) 558-0220, ext. 711; or e-mail email@example.com.
“West Virginia’s Architects and Builders 2002” was funded in part by the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
The West Virginia Division of Culture and History, an agency of the West Virginia Department of Education and the Arts, brings together the state’s past, present and future through programs and services in the areas of archives and history, the arts, historic preservation and museums. Visit the Division’s website at www.wvculture.org for more information about programs of the Division. The Division of Culture and History is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
- 30 -