The State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) of the West Virginia Division of Culture and History has published “West Virginia’s County Courthouses 2003,” a calendar highlighting historic courthouses across the state. The 13-month full-color calendar is free while supplies last.
Each month, the calendar highlights a county courthouse, including the Marion County Courthouse in Fairmont, the Boone County Courthouse in Madison, the Braxton County Courthouse in Sutton, the Brooke County Courthouse in Wellsburg, the Clay County Courthouse in Clay, the Mercer County Courthouse in Princeton, the old Randolph County Courthouse in Beverly, the Pocahontas County Courthouse in Marlinton, the Jefferson County Courthouse in Charles Town, the Harrison County Courthouse in Clarksburg, the McDowell County Courthouse in Welch, the Wood County Courthouse in Parkersburg and the Tyler County Courthouse in Middlebourne. The calendar also includes a narrative overview of the history of West Virginia’s county courthouses and a summary of common architectural styles.
To request a copy of the calendar, write to Lora Lamarre, WVDCH, The Cultural Center, 1900 Kanawha Blvd., East, Charleston, WV 25305-0300; call (304) 558-0240, ext. 711; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
“West Virginia’s County Courthouses 2003” was funded in part by the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
The West Virginia Division of Culture and History, an agency of the West Virginia Department of Education and the Arts, brings together the state’s past, present and future through programs and services in the areas of archives and history, the arts, historic preservation and museums. Visit the Division’s website at www.wvculture.org for more information about programs of the Division. The Division of Culture and History is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
- 30 -
Director of Public Information
West Virginia Division of Culture and History
The Cultural Center
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, WV 25305-0300
Phone (304) 558-0220
Fax (304) 558-2779