Two mounds, one of stone, on the farm of Jacob McQuilkin, near Martinsburg.
Several large mounds on the farm of Dr. Whiting, near the preceding.
Stone mounds on the farm of B. F. Harrison in same neighborhood as the preceding (J. P. Smith, Sm. Rep., 1882, pp. 798, 799).
Pictographs on a cliff at Horse Creek (Reported by John L. Cole).
Burial cave or grott on the Ohio, directly opposite Steubenville, Ohio, on what was known as the “Mingo Bottom” from a former village of Mingo Indians located here. An extensive collection of human skeletons, also pots, vases, etc., of earthenware, obtained here (Mentioned by an anonymous writer in Am. Jour. Sci. and Art, 1st ser., vol. 31 , pp. 8-10).
Refuse heap extending for half a mile along the bank of the Ohio just above the mouth of the Guyandotte.
Three small mounds in a field half a mile above the preceding.
Traces of an inclosure and hamlet midway between Guyandotte and Huntington, on a bottom high above the greatest floods.
Group near Barboursville (Reported by P. W. Norris).
Ancient stone wall at Mount Carbon (Described in report).
Rock circle on Armstrong Creek, half a mile above its junction with the Kanawha (Described and figured in Report).
Eight mounds on Meadow River, a tributary of the Gauley (Mentioned by S. M. Campbell, Sm. Rep., 1879, p. 441).
Ancient wall near the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad, between Loup and Armstrong Creeks, 1 mile from their confluence (W. N. Page, Sm. Rep., 1879, p. 441).
Ancient stone work on Beaver creek (Account given by Mr. I. Craig in the American Pioneer, vol. 1, p. 299. Mentioned in Anc. Mon., p. 14).
The “Huddleston Enclosure” on the farm of Mr. A. Huddleston across the Kanawha from Mt. Carbon (Described and figured in Report).
“Rock etchings are numerous upon the smooth rocks near the principal fords of the river.” (Reported by P. W. Norris).
Rock circles are found on nearly all the prominent bluffs, spurs, and high points of this region. (Described and figured in Report).
T. M. Marshall reports mounds near Glenville. (Sm. Rep., 1879, p. 441.)
Stone burial mounds on the eastern side of South Branch Mountain, about a mile and a half from the mouth of South Branch River at a point known as “Shinn Bottom,” on the land of Chas. French. Explored. (Described by L. A. Kengla, Sm. Rep., 1883, pp. 868-872.)
Cemetery on an island in the South Branch of the Potomac River, discovered by a flood which washed out skeletons, pottery, fragments of bone and shell, and something like rude pipes of copper. (New York Herald, May 3, 1886. St. Louis Globe-Democrat, May 3, 1886. Reported in Mat. Pour l’Historie de l’Homme, vol. 3 (1886), p. 321.
Skeletons, pipes, bone, beads, etc., exhumed on Pancakes Island, 10 miles above Romney, by Mr. W. K. Moorehead.
Skeletons of gigantic size exhumed on farm of Mr. Herriot at Hanging Rocks.
Large mound on farm of Mr. Garrett Postares. (Reported in Baltimore Sun, Jan. 23, 1889. Also, American Catholic News, Feb. 27, 1889.)
Indian cemetery near Potomac River about 8 miles from Romney. Skeletons, earthenware pots, beads, arrow heads, etc., were found here. (Reported in Baltimore Sun, Dec. 25, 1888.)
Pictographs known as “Calico Rock” on a bowlder 5 miles above Charleston. Figured by Bishop Madison. (Reported by John L. Cole.)
Mounds on B. H. Smith’s farm 7 miles below Charleston. (Reported by John L. Cole and P. W. Norris.)
Ancient works near Charleston, mounds, enclosures, pits and stone cists along the Kanawha River from 3 to 8 miles below Charleston. (Described and figured in Report; one mound described and figured by Cyrus Thomas in Science, vol. 3 (1884), p. 619; also in the 5th Ann. Rep. Bur Ethn., pp. 53-58. See also “Cherokees in pre-Columbian Times,” by Cyrus Thomas (1890), pp. 47-58.)
“Brownstown works,” an ancient village site or refuse heap, and an earth enclosure on the site of the present village of Brownstown, just below the point where Len’s Creek enters the Kanawha River.
The “Lens Creek Mounds,” a number of mounds in the deep valley of Len Creek. One opened. Elk River Works, a circular enclosure with gateway, mound and interior ditch, one mile north of Charleston on the opposite side of the Elk River.
Small conical mound on the summit of a low pass over which ran an ancient trail, four miles up the river from the preceding.
Group of small conical mounds two miles above the last mentioned, and midway between these and the pass is another group of five mounds.
Enclosure near St. Albans in a horse shoe bend of the Coal River, two miles above its confluence with the Kanawha, and belonging to the farm of Mr. B. Inman. Conical mounds, graded way and rock heaps in the vicinity. (Described and figured in Report.)
“Clifton Works,” village site and stone wall near the village of Clifton. (Described in Report.)
Petrographs and an enclosure near Falls Mills, the latter on the land of Mr. Sikes. (Reported by George L. Bennet.)
Ancient graves near Worthington. Explored. (I. Nutter, S,. Rep., 1879, p. 441.)
Grave creek and other mounds near Moundsville, twelve miles below Wheeling and at the point where Grave Creek unites with the Ohio River. (Jonathan Heart in “A Topographical Description of the Western Territory of N. Am.,” by Gilbert Imlay (3d. Edn., London, 1797, pp. 296-304; T. M. Harris, Jour. Of a Tour to N. W. Terr., 1803, pp. 62-64, and also Coll. Mass. Hist. Soc., vol. 3, 1810, p. 24; H. H. Breckenridge, Trans. Am. Phil. Soc., new. ser., vol. 1, 1818, p. 155; Dr. Doddridge, Trans. Am. Antiq. Soc., vol. 1, 1820, pp. 186-187; Thomas Nuttall, “Travels,” 1821, p. 25; S. Morton, Am. Jour. Sci. and Art, 1st ser., vol. 6, 1823, pp. 166-168; Warden’s Recherch., 1834, pp. 18-19; J. W. Clemens, Crania Americana, 1839, p. 221; Schoolcraft, Trans. Am. Ethn. Soc., vol. 1, 1846, pp. 369-420; also Hist. Ind. Tribes, vol. 1, 1853, pp. 120-124 and vol. 4, p. 118; Mem. Societe Royale des Ant. Du Nord, 1840-44, pp. 125-127; Tomlinson, American Pioneer, vol. 2, 1843, pp. 195-203; Squier and Davis, Anc. Mon., 1848, pp. 168-170; Townsend, Cincinnati Chronicle, Feb. 2, 1839; Chas. Whittlesey, Tracts of West. Res. Hist. Soc., Nos. 9, 33, and 44; M. C. Read, Am. Antiq., vol. 1, 1878-1879, pp. 139-149; J. P. MacLean, Mound Builders, 1879, pp. 91-105; Foster, Preh. Rac., 1881, pp. 190-192; Wilson, Preh. Man., vol. 2, 3d ed., 1876, pp. 99-103; Short, N. Am. of Antiq., 1880, p. 87; and Cyrus Thomas, 5th Ann. Report Bur. Ethn., p. 51.
Mound at Moundsville. (Reported and described in Washington Post, June, 1883. Noticed in the Independent (Waynesburg, Pa.), May 5, 1888.)
Circular enclosure of stone on the Ohio River bank below the mouth of the Kanawha, discovered by the falling in of the bank. (Brief description in Report.)
A stone enclosure at the confluence of the Ohio and Kanawha Rivers.
Old Indian works opposite Pomeroy (Ohio) at Mason City.
Mounds at Point Pleasant near the Mouth of the Kanawha River. (Reported by P. W. Norris.)
Five mounds on the high bottom lands of Gen. John McCausland on the south side of the river near the Putnam County line.
Rock heaps 3 miles below the above mounds on opposite sides of a ravine, on bluffs overlooking the river, on land of Peter S. Couch. Between these bluffs and the river are five mounds, all of which have been explored.
A mile below the preceding, on the other side of the river in an old cultivated field, were one large and several small mounds, and 3 miles still farther down the river on the Goshorn farm, a field on the high bottom is dotted with mounds, one of which is 150 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 7 feet high. Skeletons were found in all these that were examined. (Reported by Col. P. W. Norris.)
Six enclosures and a number of small mounds on the Beale farm, 7 miles below Point Pleasant.
Three miles below the preceding are several mounds from 6 to 20 feet high. The largest is on the farm of Judge Moore. (Reported by Col. P. W. Norris.)
The “McCulluch mounds,” on the farm of C. J. McCulluch, 5 miles above the mouth of the Kanawha, on the south side of the river, on a sloping terrace. “The old war trail of nations” is said to have crossed the spur upon which it stands, just below it. (Reported by P. W. Norris.)
Petrographs, on the Miller farm, 3 miles above the mouth of the Kanawha River and near the ancient trail before mentioned. (Reported by P. W. Norris.)
Shell deposits at the mouth of Short Creek, 9 miles above the city of Wheeling. (Described by H. B. Hubbard, Sm. Rep., 1881, pp. 637, 638.)
Inclosure and mounds near Winfield on the second terrace, on the south side of the river, just below the town.
Ancient furnaces, 4 miles east of Hurricane on the farm of J. J. Estes. (Described by Col. P. W. Norris.)
Mound surrounded by embankments on the Virginia side of the Ohio River, nearly opposite Blennerhassett’s Island. (Noticed and figured in Auc. Mon., p. 175.)