Ambler, Charles Henry. "Poor Relief Education: Kanawha County,
Virginia, 1818-1847." West Virginia History, Charleston,
West Virginia, 1941-42.
Arc 1. 4:3.
Andre, Richard A. Bullets and Steel: the Fight for the Great
Kanawha Valley 1861-1865. Charleston, West Virginia, Pictorial
Atkinson, George Wesley. History of Kanawha County.
Charleston, West Virginia, West Virginia Journal, 1876. Reprint
West Virginia Genealogical Society, 1994.
Atkinson, Rama Casdorph, Bratt, Helen Jenkins, Haynes, Helen
Young. Our Heritage: Brookside Centennial Paper, West Virginia
Centennial 1863-1963. s.l., n.p., 1963.
975.437 O93 Pam.
Bailey, H. R. History of the Liberty Mountaineers . St.
Albans, West Virginia, Harless Printing, 1979.
785.067 B154 Pam.
Belle West Virginia Women's Club. Historic Belle Area
Bi-Centennial, 1773-1976. Charleston, West Virginia, Capitol
Printing and Supply, 1976.
Broyles, Bettye J. The St. Albans Archeological Site, Kanawha
County, West Virginia: Preservation or Destruction. Morgantown,
West Virginia, n.p., 1974.
Burford, Herschel W. "Steam Packets on the Kanawha River."
Charleston, West Virginia, West Virginia History,
Arc 1. 4:27.
Coal River Railroad Company. Prospectus of the Coal River
Railroad Company, West Virginia. Cincinnati, Ohio, Applegate,
Pounsford and Company, 1872.
333.8 C652 1872 Pam.
Cohen, Stan. Kanawha County Images: A Bicentennial History,
1788-1988. Charleston, West Virginia, Pictorial Histories
Publishing Company, 1987.
Cole, John L. On Fitzwaters. 1791-.Notes on Fitzwaters
Family, Mostly Isaac Fitzwater and His Early Struggles With Indians
and Exploration in the Kanawha, Fayette and Nicholas County
Comstock. Jim. Hardesty's Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. Richwood, West Virginia, Jim Comstock,
975.4003 H259 v.4.
Conley, Philip Mallory. Early Coal Development in the Kanawha
Valley, West Virginia History, Charleston, West Virginia,
Arc 1. 4:8.
Cook, Roy Bird. The Annals of Fort Lee. Charleston, West
Virginia. West Virginia Review Press, 1935.
Damewood, Elizabeth Rhodes. Kanawha County's Great Textbook
Controversy: Regional Heritage, National History and Public
Education, 1974-1975. n.p., 1990.
Dayton, Ruth. Pioneers and Their Homes on Upper Kanawha.
Charleston, West Virginia, West Virginia Publishing Company,
DeGruyter, Julius Allen. The Kanawha Spectator, Charleston,
West Virginia, n.p., 1953-1976.
East Bank, Celebrating 100 Years, 1889-1989. s.l., n.p.,
Elk-Blue Creek Historical Society. Elk River Communities in
Kanawha County, A Continuing History. Cleveland, Ohio,
Typemasters, Inc., 1993.
Farley, Bob. Carbon Fuel Reunion, 1998. s.l., n.p.,
FMC Corporation. Chemical Divisions. The Salt Industry in the
Kanawha Valley. n.p., 197_.
Galbraith, Julia. History of the Cross Lanes Area. s.l.,
Gibbons, J. The Kanawha Valley, 1872 Resources, Developments
and Special Business Directory of Charleston and Other Cities.
Gibbons, Atkinson and Company Printers, 1872.
Hale, John Peter. History of the Great Kanawha Valley.
Madison, Wisconsin, Brant, Fuller and Company, 1891.
975.43 H162 closed stacks.
_____________. History and Mystery of the Kanawha Valley.
Charleston, West Virginia, West Virginia Historical and Antiquarian
_____________. List of Delegates to the Virginia Assembly
From Kanawha County 1789-1863. Trans Allegheny Pioneers,
Cincinnati, Ohio, Cincinnati Graphics, 1886.
_____________. Some Local Archaeology: a Paper Read Before
the West Virginia Historical and Antiquarian Society, January 18th,
1898. Charleston, West Virginia, Gazette Publishing Company,
913.75437 H162s Pam.
Hanson, Todd. Campbell's Creek: A Portrait of a Coal Mining
Community. Charleston, West Virginia, Pictorial Histories
Publishing Company, 1989.
Harmon, Dale Lynn. Kanawha County, West Virginia, Bruen
Property Land Purchases From 47,000 Acre Sheba Tract 1850-1908.
Durham, North Carolina, Harmon, 1984.
Harris, V.B. Great Kanawha...An Historical Outline.
Charleston, West Virginia, Jarrett Printing Company, 1976.
Hereford, C.D. Early History of St. Albans. St. Albans,
West Virginia: b s.n.\c 1950.
Humphreys, Milton Wylie. Incidents Related Concerning Mercer
Academy and Other Kanawha County Schools. n.p. n.d.
B H927 Pam.
___________. Kanawha's Black Gold and the Miners'
Rebellion. Ann Arbor, Michigan, Braun- Brumfield, 1987.
Hunt, Doris J. Index of Names to the History of Kanawha
County by George W. Atkinson. Charleston, West Virginia,
Department of Culture and History, Archives and History Division,
Jones, James A. Diaries, James A. Ward, West Virginia,
Kanawha County Court House, Account Book, Charleston, Virginia,
Kanawha County Court House, Account Book, Charleston, Virginia,
Kanawha County Election, April 1, 1835. Book for a Precinct
Election Held at the House of John Jones, Kanawha County to Choose
Delegate to Virginia Assembly, April, 1835.
Kanawha Valley Airport, s.l., n.p, n.d.
Kanawha Salt Company. Cincinnati, Ohio, Moore, Wilstach
and Baldwin Printers, 1864.
338.47664 K16 Pam.
Kanawha Salt Company, Account Book, 1820-1842.
Laidley, William Sydney. History of Charleston and Kanawha
County, West Virginia and Representative Citizens. Chicago.
Illinois, Richmond Arnold Publishing Company, 1911.
Lawrentz, Jeff. Endangered Homes on the Upper Kanawha.
s.l., n.p, 1986.
917.5437 L242 Pam.
Memorial of the Manufacturers of Salt in Kanawha County,
Virginia...Addressed to the Senate and House of Representatives of
the U.S. Kanawha County Court House, Virginia, Office of the
Kanawha Banner, 1830.
338.47664 U58m Pam.
Minute Book, Directors of Kanawha Board of James River and
Kanawha Company, June 14 to 1858 to July 8 1861. Gift of Alexander
Moore, E.T. Description of a Tract of Land Embracing About
5,000 Acres on Davis Creek, Kanawha County, West Virginia.
Charleston, West Virginia, E.T. Moore, Printer, 1875.
333.8 D449 Pam.
Moving Mountains to Build Kanawha Airport, Charleston, West
Virginia, Kanawha County. s.l, n.p., n.d.
National Education Association of the United States. Inquiry
Report, Kanawha County, West Virginia: A Textbook Study in Cultural
Conflict. Washington DC, National Education Association , Teachers
Rights Division, 1975.
Parker, Franklin. The Battle of the Books: Kanawha
County. Bloomington, Indiana, Phi Delata Kappa Educational
379.156 P239 Pam.
Pease, Louise McNeill. The Great Kanawha in the Old South,
1671-1861. Morgantown, West Virginia, 1959.
Proceedings, Resolutions, etc. of a Mass Meeting of the Citizens
of Kanawha County, April 29 and May 13, 1865. Charleston, West
Virginia, Journal Office, 1865.
973.781 P963 Pam.
Quarrier, Alexander. Indictment of Alexander C. Quarrier and His
Response Regarding Charges of Falsely Entering Information in
Account of Joint Stock Company. @ 1871.
Rice, Otis K. Charleston and the Kanawha Valley, an
Illustrated History. Woodland Hills, California, Windsor
Publications, Inc., 1981.
Shaler, Nathaniel Southgate. Black Band Iron and Coal
Company. Cambridge, Wheeler, Printer, 1881.
557.5437 S528 Pam.
Simmons, Pat. Winifrede, West Virginia, First Reunion.
Winifrede, West Virginia, the Author, 1998.
Sissonville Historical Awareness Committee. Sissonville, A
Time to Remember. s.l., n.p., 1988.
Slack, Greenbury. Greenbury Slack Letters, Account Books Justice
of Peace, 1865-1868.
Souvenir Program, Kanawha County History and The 35th Star.
Charleston, s.l., n.p., 1963.
Stealey, John Edmund. The Salt Industry of the Great Kanawha
Valley of Virginia: A Study in Ante-Bellum Internal Commerce.
Ann Arbor, Michigan, University Microfilms, 1977.
Stuber, Gary Lee. Blue Creek West Virginia Coloring Book.
Blue Creek, West Virginia, Larry Maynor, 1977.
975.437 S932 Pam.
Tompkins, C. Report to the Board of Directors and
Stockholders of the Paint Creek Coal and Iron Mining and
Manufacturing Company, Kanawha County, Virginia. Richmond,
Virginia, Dispatch Steam Printing Office, 1856.
333.8 T662 Pam.
United States Congress. Memorial of the Citizens of Kanawha
County, Virginia, Against the Measures of the Executive and Praying
for Relief. Washington, DC, 1834.
975.43 W52 Pam.
Upper Falls of Coal, Daybook, 1851-1853.
Ward Reunion Committee. History of Ward, West Virginia.
Smithers, West Virginia, Rod-Jack Printers, Inc., 1984.
_____________________.Ward News. Smithers, West Virginia,
Ward Reunion Committee, 1981-1986.
_____________________. Ward Reunion Souvenir, To Honor Old
Friends. Smithers, West Virginia, Rod-Jack Printers, Inc.,
West Virginia Genealogical Society. Index for W.S. Laidley's
History of Charleston and Kanawha County West Virginia.
Elkview, West Virginia, West Virginia Genealogical Society,
975.437 L185 Index.
Wiseman, Eloise. Tornado Remembers...Upper Falls of Coal
River, 1788-1988. n.p., n.d.
"1905 Natural Gas Arrives, Too, St. Albans, WV," n.p.,
"1831-Coalsmounth Post Office Moves," The Banner, 5-20-1831.
"1908 Fifth St. Wharf One of Boats it Served," St. Albans Advertiser, 2-3-1972.
"2 Coal Mining Families Portray Contrast, Conflict in South," Poughkeepsie Journal, 3-16-1980.
"A Tour Through the Past, Malden Historic Preservation Soc.," Charleston Gazette, 10-2-1983.
"A look Back at the Bicentennial, St. Albans," St. Albans Community News, 1-12-1989.
"All Courthouses and Jails Erected on the Same Lot," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-4-1939.
"Amandaville Residents Fighting Demolition Plans," Charleston Gazette, 4-21-1983.
"Amazing Grace, Community 128-Year Old Church," Charleston Daily Mail, 7-25-1981.
"Andy Grill, Mr. Andy," Charleston Gazette, 2-2-1998.
"Angus E. Peyton, Community Spirit," Charleston Gazette, 7-7-1996.
"Antebellum Homes Located Around Pratt, East Bank HS," Montgomery Herald, 11-11-1976.
"Archives Has Historic Bells," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-4-1939.
"ARCO Who?," Charleston Gazette, 8-6-1996.
"As Many Drive-Ins Fade, St. Albans' Valley Remains," Charleston Gazette, 7-17-1995.
"B-r-r-r! Mercury Once Hit 40-Below in Kanawha Valley," Charleston Daily Mail, 2-11-1940.
"Bank of Cross Lanes Open House Sunday," Kanawha Valley Leader, 6-21-1973.
"Barrel Making Developed... Salt Industry Kanawha Valley," Montgomery Herald, 10-14-1976.
"Bea Murphy, I'm a Ridge Runner," Charleston Gazette, 9-29-1997.
"Bee Mountain Fire Tower Park Now Open to Public," Charleston Gazette, 7-19-1936.
"Bell Creek Tied to Past by old Millstones," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-4-1964.
"Belle House Open for Tours," Montgomery Herald, 7-27-1998.
"Belle Community Spirit Reflected in Post Office Dedication...," Charleston Gazette, 3-13-1938.
"Belle, Candid Cameraman Visits," Charleston Daily Mail, 1-24-1940.
"Bicentennial Theme Focuses on the River," Charleston Gazette, 12-12-1987.
"Big Chimney-History Buff...Details of Small Kanawha Co. Town," Metro North, 9-29-1993.
"Big Chimney-Century Old Log Cabin Still Standing in County, " Charleston Mail, 10-12-1939.
"Book on County Trivia Treat, Kanawha Co. Images," Charleston Daily Mail, 11-6-1987.
"Book Presents Images of Kanawha's History," Charleston Gazette, 11-7-1987.
"Booker T. Washington Home Crumbling, Bickering... Restoration, Dominion Post, 5-26-1976.
"Borders Set at Richmond," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-4-1939.
"Bowman Lumbar Co. Contributed to Growth... St. Albans," n.p. n.d.
"British Governed Kanawha County in Colonial Days," Charleston Gazette, 2-6-1938.
"Burnwell, Company Store Hangs On...," Charleston Gazette, 11-9-1986.
"Cabin Creek, The Fading Hollow," Charleston Gazette, 1-21-1981.
"Cabin Creek Junction," Charleston Daily Mail, 12-5-1939.
"Calendar Reunion Recall Memories of Coal Town," Charleson Gazette, 1-21-1998.
"Called Coalsmouth in Early History," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-4-1939.
"Cambridge Ctr Telling America How to Do Almost Anything," Charleston Gazette, 3-17-1992.
"Campbell's Creek," Charleston Daily Mail, 11-24-1989.
"Campbell's Creek, Camera Eyes," Charleston Daily Mail, 5-29-1940.
"Campbell's Creek, Company Store," Charleston Gazette, 8-18-1991.
"Campbells Creek Salt and Coal Industries Dominated Life," Charleston Gazette, 7-31-1988.
"Castle Rock Termed Beauty Spot of Kanawha by Kinsey," Charleston Daily Mail, n.d.
"Cedar Grove Began in 1773," Beckley Post-Herald, 10-12-1967.
"Cedar Grove, People Fill Town's History," Metro East, 6-8-1988.
"Cedar Grove Settler Killed by Indians," Beckley Post-Herald, 12-12-1968.
"Cedar Grove, Town Had Tragedy," WV Hillbilly, 8-8-1964.
"Cedar Grove, First Man to Use Natural Gas Founded," Charleston Gazette, 9-12-1937.
"Cedar Grove, Tompkins Farm Became," Beckley Post-Herald, 12-13-1968.
"Cedar Grove Was First Settlement in Valley," Kanawha Citizen, 2-2-1950.
"Charleston Area Once Fine Bear Hunting Ground," Charleston Daily Mail, 11-20-1938.
"Charleston Ordnance Center Rich in History," Charleston Gazette, 8-28-1996.
"Chelyan, Roving Cameraman Visits," Charleston Daily Mail, 9-11-1940.
"Chelyan-Land Granted to John Stark," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-4-1937.
"Clendenin Looking to Create Historic District, Metro North, 7-31-1996.
"Clendenin, Way Back When," WV Herald, 9-19-1975; 10-10-1975.
"Clendenin Seeks Historic Site Designation," Metro North, 8-4-1993.
"Clendenin Man Writes History of Big Sandy,"n.p. n.d.
"Clendenin, Bullitt Played Key Roles in Kanawha's Early Days," Charleston Gazette, 5-1-1988.
"Clendenin Council Considers Study of Historic Value of Bridge," Metro North, 2-2-1994.
"Clendenin Landmark to Come Down," Metro North, 7-12-1995.
"Coalburgh Mines Dates Back to 1853," Kanawha Valley Edition Charleston Daily Mail, 1939.
"Cobb Saved Fort, Trip Made in Face of Danger," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-4-1939.
"Comeback South Charleston Rebounds 1985 Woes," Charleston Gazette, 1-15-1989.
"Coonskin Clubhouse Namesake Takes Pride in Park's Expansion," Charleston Mail, 1-28-1985.
"Coonskin," Charleston Gazette, 7-18-1979. "Couple's Tragedy Led to MADD Effort," Charleston Gazette, 6-13-1999.
"Cross Lanes Says No to Incorporation," Inter-Mountain, 11-21-1987.
"DAR Will Unveil Tablet to Mark Home of Daniel Boone," Charleston Gazette, 6-3-1928.
"DAR In Honor of County's WWI Soldiers," Charleston Daily Mail, 8-9-1925.
"Davis Creek...," Charleston Gazette, 10-29-1922.
"Does Spanish Gold...Cavern Beneath Mound Campbell's Cr.," Charleston Gazette, 11-19-1922.
"Don Tate, Bag Boy Had Fast Climb to Top," Charleston Gazette, 3-2-1997.
"Don't Call it Reed It's Port Amherst," Charleston Gazette, 10-7-1956.
"Duel Lynching Party in 1876 East of Charleston Recalled," Charleston Daily Mail, 1-23-1938.
"Dunbar Lost," Charleston Gazette, 8-3-1993.
"Dunbar Bridge Has Stormy Past.....Kanawha County," WV Hillbilly, 8-21-1982.
"Dunmore, Henry Made Huge Grants," P. Henry Signed Old Grant," Daily Mail, 8-6-1939.
"Early Physicians of Kanawha Faced Many Difficulties," Charleston Gazette, 10-13-1929.
"Early County Court Held in Clendenin Block House," Charleston Gazette, 2-6-nd.
"Early Settlers' Lives Recorded, Poca District," Charleston Daily Mail, 11-18-1987.
"Early history of Near Counties," WV News, 5-12-1938.
"East Bank Celebrates Town's 100th Birthday," Montgomery Herald, 10-25-1989.
"Educational Center of Pratt," Charleston Daily Mail, 10-9-1940.
"Elk Valley Baseball Players Reunite," Metro North, 9-22-1993.
"Elk River Development Works on Scenic Dream," Charleston Gazette, 2-24-1991.
"Elkview, Candid Camera Visits," Charleston Daily Mail, 4-25, 1940.
"Elkview Island Broods Over Splendor of Past," Charleston Daily Mail, 11-21-1968.
"Eric Dale Foreman, Clendenin, In Honor of Eric," Charleston Daily Mail, 4-7-1995.
"Eskdale Train Yard at End of Line," Charleston Gazette, 9-20-1980.
"Eskdale Incorporation, Patience Pays Off," Charleston Daily Mail, 11-30-1979.
"Eskdale Incorporation Fight Brews," Charleston Daily Mail, 4-11-1980.
"Father of the Steel Drum," Charleston Gazette, 2-28-1999.
"Festivities to Enliven Old Chapel, Old Brick Church," Charleston Gazette, 8-25-1979.
"First Steam Boat... All 8 Locks on Coal River Lower Falls," St. Albans Advertiser, 2-4-1971.
"First Christmas Tree in State Averted Massacre," Charleston Daily Mail, 12-19-1937.
"First Doctor, Charles D. Moss," St. Albans Advertiser, 4-29-1971.
"First White Settlement in Valley Marked by DAR," Charleston Gazette, 11-27-1927.
"First Malden Salt Festival Kicks Off Friday," Metro East, 8-14-1983.
"First of Ten Mothers-in-Law Was Scalped by Indians," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-4-1939.
"First Kanawha Sheriff Quit After One Days Duty," Charleston Daily Mail, 4-10-1938.
"Floating Museum On Its Way, Spirit of Kanawha," Charleston Daily Mail, 1-30-1988.
"Frame Resident Prepares to Stay by Side of Road," Charleston Daily Mail, 9-11-1964.
"Frances B. Price, South Charleston History...," Charleston Gazette, 2-2-1994.
"Frances Price, Founding Daughter," Charleston Gazette, 3-19-1999.
"Future of the Kanawha Valley is Brighter..Former Gov. MacCorkle States," Gazette, 4-14-1929.
"Gene Richardson, The Lure Maker," Charleston Daily Mail, 7-30-1999.
"Genealogical Society Moves Into Computer Age," Charleston Daily Mail, 4-4-1996.
"Genealogists Upgrade Society's Nitro Office," Metro North, 8-19-1998.
"George Washington In Kanawha Valley," Charleston Daily Mail, 2-21-1926.
"George Washington Had Large Kanawha Holdings," Charleston Daily Mail, 1-4-1939.
"Ground is Broken for Spark Plug Plant in Kanawha," Clarksburg Telegram, 4-27-1994.
"Handley's Origins," Beckley Post-Herald, 10-4-1977.
"Hansford House," Charleston Gazette, 11-14-1998.
"Hansford House, Living Museum," Charleston Daily Mail, 3-16-1979.
"Hansford on Kanawha is Old Community," Beckley Post-Herald, 6-26-1958.
"Hardy Trail Blazers Found Kanawha Valley Wilderness," Kanawha Valley Leader, 9-13-1963.
"Harriman House to Put on Display," Montgomery Herald, 12-18-1991.
"He Tells of Cyclone That Visited Charleston in 1844," n.p n.d.
"Health Hazards Cited by Amandaville Study," Charleston Gazette, 4-22-1983.
"Heavy Spring Rains Erode Prehistoric Sites Near St. Albans," Charleston Gazette, 7-27-1996.
"His Ancestor Fled Indians Here in 1790, John Young, Charleston Daily Mail, 7-20-1941.
"Historic Kitchen Expects Fest Guests," Charleston Daily Mail, 10-14-1994.
"Historic Society Striving to Save Landmarks," Charleston Gazette, 10-3-1990.
"Historic Marker Honors Settler John Young," Metro North, 5-17-1995.
"Historic Hernshaw Cabin Razed... for Modern School," Charleston Gazette, 5-14-1950.
"Historical Sites in the Lower Kanawha Valley," William Wintz, n.d.
"Historical Renaissance Goal for Upper Valley's Treasures," Charleston Daily Mail, 5-7-1981.
"History of the Kanawha Valley from 1654 to First of Last Century," Advertiser, 8-13-1922.
"History of Davis Creek is Read at Country Life Meet," Sunday Advertiser, 3-5-1925.
"History of Clendenin by Henry Young," WV Herald, 9-13-1978.
"Hospitable House, Rashid ...Donates Chilton House To U.C.," Charleston Gazette, 6-4-1998.
"Institute: It Springs From Epic Love Story, Samuel Cabell," Charleston Gazette, 2-8-1970.
"Ivin Lee: Playing Good Cop Again... Dunbar Police Chief," Charleston Gazette, 9-20-1995.
"Japanese Firm Sparks Growth in WV," News Register, 9-8-1996.
"Jim Shaffer, I Forget the World Exists Still Gets Joy From Making Brooms," Gazette, 2-8-1999.
"Joe Stitt's Hidden Treasure, n.p n.d.
"Kanawha Valley Center of Chemical Industry in the State," Buckhannon Record, 2-4-1938.
"Kanawha Stagecoach Stop and Tavern Still Standing," Metro North, 2-13-1991.
"Kanawha Once Covered Half of State," Sunday Gazette Mail, 6-26-1988.
"Kanawha County's First Election," Charleston Gazette, 8-3-1924.
"Kanawha County Once Covered Half the State," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-4-1939.
"Kanawha Literary Club Formed in 1896," Charleston Gazette, 9-14-1924.
"Kanawha County Courthouse Has Interesting History," Charleston Gazette, 9-12-1920.
"Kanawha Pronunciation a Longtime Troublemaker," Charleston Daily Mail, 2-6-1988.
"Kanawha County's Proposed Children's Shelter," Charleston Gazette, 8-28-1938.
"Kanawha War Memorial Unveiled in 1922," Charleston Gazette, 2-6-1938.
"Kanawha County Jail Once Famed for Revolving Cells," Charleston Daily Mail, 11-17-1940.
"Kanawha Spectator, Guide Kanawha County's Historic Places," Kanawha Bicentennial, 1988.
"Kanawha Forest Area to be Recreation Site," Charleston Gazette, 11-9-1937.
"Kanawha Co. Play Important Part...Settlement of Pt. Pleasant," Charleston Gazette, 10-25-1925.
"Kanawha's Bicentennial Depended Upon Many," Charleston Gazette, 1-1-1989.
"Kanawha's Founding Closely Linked to Historical Event," Charleston Gazette, 5-29-1988.
"Kayford Camera Study Subject," Charleston Daily Mail, 7-17-1940.
"Kayford, Nature Reclaiming, But Town Lives in Memories," Charleston Daily Mail, 7-22-1981.
"Letha Cavendish Greene, Letha's Queen," Charleston Gazette, 8-7-1999.
"Lighting System on Main Street Antiquated and Unsightly," n.p. n.d.
"Little Brick Church," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-2-1980.
"Local Woman Recalls Riding Cow's Tail to Escape Panther," Charleston Mail, 10-20-1940.
"Long Lost Vein Precious Metal Discovered Along Kelly's Cr." Charleston Gazette, 4-18-1926.
"Long Gone Swinging Bridge, Island at Elkview, Charleston Daily Mail, 11-13-1958.
"Lost Silver Mine Cannelton Mountain Still...Kanawha Valley," Charleston Gazette, 2-7-1926.
"Lyle Hawley Remembers a Cross Lanes Gone By," Charleston Daily Mail, 3-18-1983.
"Lynching of Estep and Dawson," WV Hillbilly, 1973.
"Making Marmet Memories a Legacy," Charleston Daily Mail, 7-12-1989.
"Malden Festival Offers Entertainment While Honoring Past," Charleston Gazette, 8-5-1984.
"Malden Official Historic District..General Store Restoration," Charleston Daily Mail, 8-9-1980.
"Malden 19th Century Revisited," Charleston Daily Mail, 8-6-1979.
"Malden Sisters Amass Wealth of Facts About Malden, Coles," Charleston Gazette, 3-7-1991.
"Malden Has Salty Flavor," Charleston Gazette, 8-12-1951.
"Malden Boasts Oldest Living Masonic Lodge," n.p n.d.
"Malden 19th Century Revisited," Charleston Daily Mail, n.d.
"Malden," Charleston Gazette, 9-10-1980.
"Man's Book Preserves History for Mining Area," Herald Dispatch, 3-26-1990.
"Many Historical Associations in Kanawha Valley," Charleston Gazette, 9-20-1925.
"Map of Coal River Lock and Dam System," n.p. n.d.
"Marshall Hansford House," Montgomery Herald, 11-4-1976.
"Marvel Elkins, A Character of Fifty Years Ago, n.p. n.d.
"Masonic Orders Linked in Kanawha's History," Charleston Daily Mail, 9-12-1926.
"Mausoleum at Belle Still Vacant After 75 Years," Charleston Daily Mail, 4-18-1937.
"Mayor Spends Adulthood Leading East Bank, Chuck Blair," Charleston Gazette, 5-8-1995.
"Member of S. Charleston's First Swat Team Dies at 46, Dan Winnell," Daily Mail, 9-1-1995.
"Memories of Barium Reduction Corp. Live On," Metro North, 9-29-1993.
"Mill Creek Falls in 1908," Charleston Gazette State Magazine, 3-14-1965.
"Morris Family in the Valley," WV Hillbilly, 6-21-1990.
"Movie Theater Renovated to Recapture Old-Time Atmosphere," Metro North, 8-25-1993.
"Mr. Turnpike, V. B. Bucky Harris, Rhodes Scholar," Charleston Gazette, 5-16-1997.
"Mrs. George Jenkins Tells Story of Gutherie-Carpenter," Charleston Gazette, 11-27-1927.
"Mural Artist Paints the Town, Sherd Maynard," Charleston Daily Mail, 5-22-1997.
"NBC Reporter, Valley Native Speaks at UC, Ed Rabel," Charleston Gazette, 5-4-1991.
"New River Gorge, Capitol Points of Interest in Kanawha Valley," Exponent, 9-16-1934.
"New Industry Gives ..., Atkinson Foundry & Car Shops," St. Albans Advertiser, 5-6-1971.
"New History Tells About Kanawha County," Charleston Daily Mail, 10-23-1927.
"Nitro: It Isn't Taps Yet For This World War I City," Charleston, Gazette, 9-5-1993.
"Nitro Might Have Named Redwop," Huntington Herald Dispatch, 3-27-1989.
"No Town Of Goldtown Attracts Many Vistors," Charleston Daily Mail, 11-19-1974.
"Old Elk Valley Houses Well Constructed to Stand...Past 80 Years," Daily Mail, 1-17-1937.
"Old Time Program Planned Clenedenin Fourth Celebration," Charleston Daily Mail, 7-1-1934.
"Old Stone Shaft Landmark at Big Chimney Blown Down," Charleston Daily Mail, 1-29-1928.
"On the House... Historic Chilton House," Charleston Gazette, 6-7-1998.
"One of Valley's First Homes Still Stands on Lens Creek," Charleston Daily Mail, 10-1-1939.
"Oscar Veazey Elected 1st Mayor; Hospital Founded Hansford," Montgomery Herald, 11-4-1976.
"Paint Creek Settlement, History of Lower," Beckley Post-Herald, 6-25-1958.
"Paint Creek, Echoes of," Charleston Gazette, 3-14-1979.
"Paint Creek, A Visit to, Part I," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-12-1940.
"Panorama of Cabin Creek Junction, WV.," C & O Historical Magazine, 6-1994.
"Phyllis Vickers, 88 Keys to Happiness," Charleston Gazette, 2-24-1998.
"Pickens Mill, Storm Raised Naming Town Spaw Tornado," Charleston Gazette, 5-29-1988.
"Picture of Stone House in Malden," n. p. n.d.
"Pinch Has Been Birthplace of Several County Officials," Charleston Daily Mail, 1-14-1940.
"Pioneer Writes History of Poca District," Charleston Daily Mail, 8-19-1923.
"Pioneers Scalped Indians to Keep Their Own Intact, Kenton," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-4-1939.
"Plans Under Way Malden Replica of Booker T. Cabin," Bluefield Daily Telegraph, 11-6-1997.
"Plea for Neighborliness Sent Putney From Putney," Charleston Gazette, 8-13-1944.
"Prat-Handley Area History Interesting," Beckley Post-Herald, 11-21-1966.
"Pratt Took on the Aura of Gold Rush Town for Four Months," Fayette Tribune, 6-25-1990.
"Pratt History Given in Bicentennial Book," Montgomery Herald, 9-23-1976.
"Report of the Commissioners for Districting Kanawha County," A. W. Quarrier, 4-26-1852.
"Restoration Pays Tribute to Educator," Charleston Gazette, 3-15-1996.
"Restored Belle Landmark to be Dedicated," Charleston Gazette, 9-13-1985.
"Resurrection Landmark Church Undergoes Facelift," Charleston Daily Mail, 11-20-1979.
"Road Growth a Historic Dream," Charleston Gazette, 2024-1991.
"Rock Lake Opening Today, Presents New Feature," Charleston Gazette, 5-30-1937.
"Saloon of Kanawha County's Gay 90's," Charleston Gazette, 2-6-1938.
"Salt Making Chief Source of Income in Early Valley Days," Charleston Daily Mail, 9-24-1939.
"Salt Town Buildings to Survive on Paper," Charleston Gazette, 8-8-1979.
"Sam MacCorkle, 1914-1991," Charleston Gazette, 1-26-1991.
"Sandy Brae Golf Course Clendenin's Promised Land of Pleasure," Sunday Gazette, 4-4-1965.
"She Remembers When Belle Was Salt of Earth," Metro East, 12-10-1986.
"She's No Marketing Chicken, Dumpling Mix...Sissonville," Weirton Daily Times, 7-8-1996.
"Showboat Provided Excitement Pratt Residents of Yesteryear," Montgomery Herald, 10-7-1976.
"Shrewsbury Store and Depot 1929," Montgomery Herald, 9-28-1988.
"Sissionville Area Joins Kanawha's Bicentennial Celebration," Charleston Gazette, 5-1-1988.
"Sissionville Group Compiling History," Charleston Daily Mail, 11-18-1987.
"Sissionville: Dime Coffee, Bad Roads, Good People," Charleston Gazette, 12-2-1973.
"Sketches Lives of Kanawha Founders," Charleston Daily Mail, 12-16-1930.
"Smithers, History Ends With Hardware Store Blaze," Montgomery Herald, 11-9-1988.
"South Charleston Preserves its Past," Charleston Gazette, 3-5-1994.
"South Charleston, West Virginia Profile," @1990s.
"South Charleston Widens Thoroughfare," Charleston Gazette, 7-9-1937.
"South Charleston Makes Headway on History," Charleston Gazette, 2-19-1995.
"St. Albans Post Office Architects Resurrect Post Office," Charleston Daily Mail, 12-1-1994.
"St. Albans Paraded for Prohibition," St. Albans Advertiser, 8-5-1976.
"St. Albans: A Bicentennial City with a Rich History," St. Albans Community News, 1-12-1989.
"St. Albans' Only Indian Mound Was Destroyed," St. Albans Advertiser, Vol.54-No.13, n.d.
"St. Albans Festival of Lights Keeps Growing," Charleston Daily Mail, 11-24-1994.
"St. Albans in August-Turn of the Century," St. Albans Reporter, 8-25-1900.
"St. Albans 1880," n.p., n.d.
"St. Albans, Depot May Move on Down the Line," Charleston Gazette, 7-17-1991.
"St. Albans Bank is Held Up by Bandit, June 30, 1930," n.p, n.d.
"St. Albans 1910," n.p. n.d.
"Stagecoach Inn, Civil War Raid Target Still Standing," Charleston Gazette, 1-2-1955.
"State Buys Forest Land in Kanawha," Exponent, 9-26-1937.
"State Funded Survey to Bare Pratt Area Historic Heritage," Charleston Daily Mail, 12-9-1982.
"State Historic Preservation Conference Post-Conference Tour," n.p.n.d.
"The Candy Store Man," St. Albans Advertiser, 4-2-1971.
"The Sattes That I Remember," Kanawha Valley Leader, 7-17-1975.
"The Famous 1850 Apollo Hall," St. Albans Advertiser, 3-2-1972.
"The Big House, Built by James Weimer," Charleston Gazette, 5-18-1997.
"The Council Chambers of Yester-Years, Coalsmouth Hotel, 1860." n.p. n.d.
"The Story of a British Paymaster and His Buried Gold," n.p. n.d.
"The Town I Always Call Home, Charleston Daily Mail, 4-14-1973.
"They Came Down by Steamboat-They Won Game," St. Albans Advertiser, 6-15-1972.
"They Came by Hundreds & Thousands, Nitro, WWI, Zerbe," Charleston Gazette, 11-10-1996.
"They're Celebrating a Hero, Booker T. Washington," Welch Daily Times, 3-30-1996.
"Tomb Stand Solid, Sound, Built Smithers Pioneer Resident," Charleston Gazette, 5-30-1937.
"Tompkins Crossing to Disappear," Charleston Daily Mail, 6-2-1975.
"Tornado Despite Stormy Past Town Seeming Sea of Calm Today," Herald Dispatch, 2-6-1989.
"Town Restoring Church-Cabin, Malden, WV," Dominion Post, 3-15-1996.
"Town of Clendenin Plans Several Mini-Parks," Metro North, 12-28-1982.
"Town Organizations Enliven Pratt History," Montgomery Herald, 11-18-1976.
"Traces of Bygone Days on Coal River," Charleston Daily Mail, 2-14-1977.
"Two Historic Landmarks, Oldest Place in Co., Church & House," Daily Mail, 6-4-1939.
"Tyler Mountain Water Co. The H2O Business," Charleston Gazette, 9-29-1996.
"Tyler Mountain Tavern Marks Era Stagecoach in Valley," Charleston Daily Mail, 8-1940.
"Underground Railway Station-Slaves Standing Near City," Charleston Daily Mail, 8-18-1940.
"United Lives Again in Hearts of Many," Charleston Gazette, 7-28-1975.
"Unraveling History... Kanawha County Library Rare Books," Charleston Daily Mail, 9-15-1989.
"Until We Meet Again Pinch Reunion," Charleston Daily Mail, 8-8-1980.
"Up and Down the Great Kanawha. WV and Its Capital," Harpers Weekly, 3-8-1890.
"W. Morris Was First Kanawha Settler," Beckley Post-Herald, 5-232-1964.
"Ward, Memories of, Coal Camp Residents Reunite," Charleston Gazette, 9-12-1993.
"Ward-Print and Picture- Mammoth," Charleston Daily Mail, 9-25-1940.
"Washington Once Owned Burning Springs," Beckley Post-Herald, 10-26-1965.
"Washington's Cabin Contains Fine Lessons," Charleston Gazette, 11-25-1997.
"Winter Memories of Pratt Recalled by Town Citizens," Montgomery Herald, 12-16-1976.
"Workers Snow Hill Quarry, 1901," Charleston Gazette, 1-25-1999.
"WV Town Restoring Historic Up From the Slavery Center," Mineral Daily News, 3-15-1996.
"You're Invited, 1894 Our First Uniformed Policeman," St. Albans Advertiser, 2-25-1971.
DO YOU REMEMBER SERIES
Charleston Gazette Articles on Kanawha County by Mrs. Billie Richardson
"Photo Taken in 1916 of the J. R..Ross & Son Meat Market on West Washington St., the group includes: D. Boone Dawson, present mayor of Charleston, then a student at Charleston High School; James Ross, Samuel Haynes and Dewey Williams, now a member of the Charleston police force."
"When the Job Thayer home stood where the corner of Brooks and Lee Street is now? It was a large commodious house and the scene of much social activity. Hospitality reigned supreme. The latch string was always out."
"When special Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Officer, Howard C. Smith averted a horrible tragedy, a little before one o'clock on November 19, 1902? Three men, who appeared to be tramps, passed up Kanawha street in the direction of the South Side bridge, They all apparently were drunk. Finally they started across the bridge. When they reached the middle of the bridge they got into trouble. The two who appeared the more somber got into a scrimmage with the third one. Suddenly they became tangled, and just as Special Officer Smith approached them, the two had the drunken companion up in their arms and were about to throw him into the river. The officer yelled to them to stop and placed them under arrest, bringing them over to the city and locking them up."
"When two young Hebrew 'globe trotters' arrived here 36 years ago? Morrie Frankel and William Winkel, two Jewish youths, were making a tour of the world on foot and without funds. They left New York on August 18, 1902, with three cents to pay for their ferry toll across to Jersey City. Arriving here, their capital consisted of plenty of pluck and robust constitutions, and on this they had visited Philadelphia, Baltimore, Richmond, Charlottesville, Staunton, Lewisburg, Hinton and East Bank. From here they expected to go to New Orleans and San Francisco, across the Pacific to Asia and so on around the globe. If they succeeded in circling the globe as attempted, several prizes were to awarded them in New York. While here, they visited Governor A.B. White and Mayor John Morgan."
"When the first airplane took off from a West Virginia Landing field in 1912? Its pilot was Col. Paul Peck of Ansted, the son of the late L.M. Peck of Lewisburg. Peck was killed in a crash in Chicago shortly after he thrilled hundreds here with a flight over the city. The craft was placed on exhibition at the old Warwick, Barrett and Shipley company department store at Quarrier and Hale streets and in front of the post office. The ill-fated airman carried the first mail in the United States, records of American pilots disclosed. The history making flight was from Coney Island to California, O. Only souvenir postcards were permitted on the trip. The craft was an early pusher type with a rotary motor."
"When the complete election returns in 1902 from Kanawha county showed that out of 70 voting precincts in the county, the Republican party carried 65 and the Democrats but five? The five precincts giving actual December majorities were Kelley's Creek, Cross Lanes and Lock Seven in Union district, Mink Shoals in Elk and Shrewsbury in Cabin Creek."
"When the coldest and worst winter weather this valley ever had was 56 years ago? The weather got cold about the middle of December. The river froze and the ice did not go out until February, and when if did break, it took nearly everything in the river along with it."
"When Miss Katherine Donnally and Mrs. Webster Smith entertained with a studio tea for the art lovers of Charleston 44 years ago? Rooms on the fourth floor of the Kanawha Valley bank building were prettily decorated. Miss Ethel Ruffner served tea. Mrs. Smith's excellent water color work won praise from the local art critics, and a number of her still life views were sold for holiday gifts, as well as a great many pieces of decorated china. Mrs. Donnally and Mrs. Smith were assisted in entertaining by Mrs. William E. Chilton and Mrs. Malcolm Jackson."
"When there was a fire station at the corner of Lee and Brooks street, 53 years ago? The firemen used small fire reels that they pulled by hand. When there was a fire the signal was given by beating on a great triangle. "Bus' Callahan was the fire chief and the main fire department was where the Radio theater now stands."
"Photo of Kanawha county court house taken in 1907. The court house was erected in 1892. This photo, shot from the Kanawha street entrance is of interest at this time due to th construction of the new Kanawha street boulevard which will change the 'front entrance' from Virginia street back to Kanawha street. When the court was built Kanawha street was known as Front street and was the main channel of commerce by land and river. Later when Virginia street became the main through channel for vehicles and river passenger traffic was abandoned the 'front entrance' of the court house was changed to Virginia street."
"When the Daughters of the Confederacy held a bazaar at the Elks hall, January 25 to 28, 1895? The most attractive of the displays was the 'Napoleonic Tea' served by girls in empire costumes. Another attraction was a Maypole dance conducted by Miss Doddridge. The music was by Jacob's orchestra. The dance was given for charity. Among the dancers were Misses Moffatt and Whittaker of Wheeling, the Misses Matthews of Lewisburg; Misses Virginia Patrick, Anna Johnson, Majorie Gentry, Margaret Mason, Emma Walker, Dora Laidley, Cora Henry, Nina Ruffner, Ethel Ruffner, Susie Welch, Nell Burdette, Julia McFarland and Katie McDermott; Messrs. John A. Thayer, "Billie' Richardson, Percy Rowan, Briscoe Peyton, Joseph H. Gaines, John Baker White, John D. Lewis, Fred N. Carr, Harry Pritchard, Harry Anderson, Wilson Noyes, William Sterrett, Charles Sterrett, William Burdette, Fred Scott and Thomas Caldwell of Parkersburg."
"When the Kanawha river was so low that the water was so clear, if the sun shining, you could see the bottom all the way across in 1866? When a steamboat was passing you could see large fish swimming alongside to catch the scraps that would be thrown over. There were three nice packets plying the Kanawha in the late 60's and early 70's. The Clara Scott, the Kanawha Belle and the Mountain Boy. The Clara Scott had large white stripes around the smoke stack and could be distinguished at a great distance. The writer received the above information through the courtesy of S.B. Hamer of Hinton.
"When John Ramsey of the state department of schools killed a large fish hawk at his home at Elkview 21 years ago? The hawk measured five feet and three inches from wing tip to wing tip and more than a foot from the beak to the end of tail. On the bird's body were curious flies, which were very flat like a mashed house fly and they ran along the body of the bird next to skin and directly across the direction the feathers lay."
"When Charleston laborers worked ten hours a day for a dollar and never struck, 50 years ago? The laborers often streaked for the first saloon when they were paid off Saturday evenings and he who squandered as much as a dollar was considered a spendthrift. When the street car line was completed up Virginia street to its dead end up above Morris street the contractor presented each laborer with a half a pint of whiskey and there was a great celebration."
"When the Democrats of the first ward had a big rally 26 years ago? The principal speakers were Samuel D. Littlepage, who was a candidate for circuit judge; A.S. Alexander, candidate for member of the house of delegates, Philip G. Walker and A.C. Hale, candidate for justice of the peace. There was a large attendance and much enthusiasm was aroused by the speakers."
"When Pinchville oil well No. 8 was drilled by Grosscup, Schwabe, Rummel and Hudson, came in 26 years ago? There was a flow of from 1,000 to 1.200 barrels per day. No. 8 was the tenth and largest well drilled by the company and its owners were greatly pleased with it. The wells in the Pinchville field gave evidence of more lasting results than any of the wells in the Blue Creek region."
"When many West Virginia Progressives favored President Woodrow Wilson 22 years ago? Progressives who attended the meeting of their state committee at Parkersburg, September 24, 1916, said there was practical unanimity among their leaders that the votes of the third party should go to reelect Wilson to the presidency."
"Photo of one of the earliest engines used in construction of the Charleston, Clendenin and Sutton railway which is now a branch of the Baltimore and Ohio railway. This particular type of engine was built for mountain climbing which was necessary during the hey-day of logging in West Virginia."
"When a 'brush' occurred at Standard on Paint Creek 26 years ago between the militia an unknown parties on the hillside nearest to Cabin Creek? Over a dozen shots were fired down the hill but went wide of their mark after being apparently aimed at the national guard. The soldiers returned the fire for a few minutes and then the firing ceased. No one was wounded. Several days previous a meeting was held at Eskdale, on Cabin Creek, addressed by 'Mother Jones' and attended by about 800 miners. The speech of the veteran agitator was pacific in tone. She urged the miners to protect property instead of destroying it and advised them no to strike at that time. At the conclusion of her address 'Mother' Jones organized those present into a branch of the United Mine Workers union, an achievement that no union organizer had been able to accomplish for many years."
"When in the 70's the old salt barrel factory on Donnelly street, at its intersection with Elk River, was in operation? About 60 men were employed, Philip Morgan built the factory and sold it to his son, Marcus Morgan, and Clarence Gebhart, who operated it until the salt industry played out and they had no market for their product. One small item of income was from the sale of clips from barrel staves to citizens using them for kindling wood."
"When the first shooting club was organized in Charleston in 1878? The targets were hollow glass balls stuffed with feathers to appear when broken something like a bird shot on the wing. Members of the club were Peter Fontaine, Barney Woodruff, John Kenna, R.R. Delaney, J.M. Gates, L.K. Davendorf, W.D. Luckadoe and C.P. Synder."
"When Dr. Clell Sayre reviewed the Point Pleasant high school cadet corps 22 years ago? Dr. Sayre, former major or the United States army, came from Washington to see the corps and said that of the thousands of young men who had passed before him in review, the Point Pleasant corps was the best disciplined and best drilled. The corps went to Gallipolis for a competitive drill and won. Dr. Sayre now is a resident of Charleston."
"When the first grist mill in this section was built by Henry Simms at the mouth of Little Scary 75 years ago? It was a water mill. A batteau was loaded with stone and sunk in the creek to form a dam. Simms married Margaret Marshall, a close relative of United States Chief Justice Marshall. Simms was owner of several thousand acres of rich farming land, some of which is still owned by his descendants, among whom is great, great granddaughter, Emma Simms, now Mrs. W. H. Maginnis of Glenwood Avenue, West Charleston."
"When the Kanawha Presbyterian church was founded over 80 or more years ago? The precise date is lost. It was the first Presbyterian church in the Kanawha Valley, the parent church to all that have since taken root here. The Rev. Henry Ruffner, D.D., LL.D., a native of Charleston and afterwards president of Washington College (now Washington and Lee University), first preached here, and probably organized the church. The church property extended from Kanawha to Virginia street."
"Photo of the J. C. Dudding family taken at their home on the Kanawha turnpike. Left to right are Earl Dudding, now in the Bank of Commerce; Mrs. J. C. Dudding; Osa, who is now Mrs. Lee Mays of St. Albans; B. Arthur Dudding, now with the Kanawha Valley Bank; J. C. Dudding, contractor; Lloy A. Dudding, with the Kanawha Valley Bank, and Lola, now Mrs. Albert Moore of Charleston."
"When messages going over a local telegraph line could be seen 23 years ago? Charleston claimed possession of the only line in the world over which one could actually see messages passing. It was owned by local business concern operating between two branches of the company's offices which were separated by a court a few hundred feet wide. Telegrams received in one office were attached to a pulley which then released, ran down a wire into the office of the other department. There negotiations from the messages were made an the telegrams returned to the main office."
"When Mount Salem church was built 53 years ago? It is in Teays Valley, near Scott's Depot, on the C. and O. Railway. The membership at that time was 34. The Rev. H..W. Haysett was the pastor."
"When committees were appointed for the Kanawha county Republican club 28 years ago? The club was organized at a meeting in the state house on April 22, 1911. The naming of the members of the two committees rested with the governor and on April 24 they were announced as follows: On constitution and by-laws Fred Paul Grosscup, chairman; Malcolm Jackson, O. A. Petty, Grant P. Hall, C. A. Bolden, John R. Foster, Joseph H. Gaines, S. B. Avis, S.P. Smith, and H. D. Rummel; On nominations, I. Schwabe, chairman; Fred M. Staunton, G. E. Breece, W. S. Edwards, L. M. LaFollette, M.T. Raoch, William Fielder, Ben Baer, E.L. Whitney, T. Imoboden and E.C. Bauer."
"When a street car first traversed the tracks of the line from Two-Mile Creek to Elizabeth street? This was on Saturday, December 20, 1902. When the trip was completed, it was said to mark the beginning of a move which in time would bind the Kanawha Valley together with an immense system of traction lines."
"When the upper Ohio river was closed to navigation 44 years ago? On January 1, 1895, the river was gorged with ice at four places below Wheeling and above Parkersburg and before this became known the river men were surprised at a continual falling of the water. Above Wheeling, too the river was closed at two points. The packets were all safely harbored. The Charleston-Pittsburgh packet, Lizzie Boy, was at Gallipolis, just below the mouth of the Big Kanawha, and both Keystone State and Ben Hur were lying in the Little Kanawha at Parkersburg. Many tow boats were laid up with tons of empty barges at various points along the river unable to reach Pittsburgh."
"Photo of a Sunday school class at Chilton taken about 1902. Included in the picture are the late L.C. Massey, T. Hicks, Mary Marty, Edna Johnson who is now Mrs. Miles Holstein, Cynthia George, now Mrs. Cynthia Spencer, Lola Mooney, Emma Hicks, Anna Hicks, Emma Kirby, who is now Mrs. C. E Schnell of Marmet, Susan Kirby, now Mrs. S. Grimes of Huntington, the late Mrs. Viola George, Walter Kirby of Kanawha City, A.M. Kirby of Van, Walter Bess, john Johnson, the late W.E. Kirby, Charles Spencer, the Rev. Marty and Winifrede Massey.
"When an engineer on the Little Coal railroad prevented a bad wreck 29 years ago, by remaining at his post? The moving passenger train was wrecked near Pinnacle tunnel when the engine struck a large rock weighing several tons which had rolled down the mountain side onto the track. The engine struck with great force and the pilot and front of the engine were torn away. Both the engine and tender left the track but the coaches were derailed. Except for being badly jarred, none of the passengers was injured. The accident occurred February 21, 1910. Both fireman and engineer stuck to their posts. The engineer reversing his engine in time to prevent a disastrous piling up of the cars in the cut where the accident occurred. All passengers were taken to St. Albans by the morning passenger train from the Big Coal division of the road."
"When the mines at Black Betsy Coal and Mining company started work 37 years ago? The new coal operation opened with 20 men. The electric plant was installed by J.H. Thompson of the Triple State Electric company of this city and L.H. Harrison or the Goodman Manufacturing company of Chicago. A number of houses were built at Black Betsy for employees of the company and preparation were made to construct 25 barges for shipping coal to market."
"When a new oil field was located near Fairfield 24 years ago? Two wells drilled by the Ohio Fuel Oil company attracted much interest in Cabin Creek district and the field was generally regarded by West Virginia oil men as having the best prospects of any in the state. The wells were just outside the Williams Coal company tract where the Columbus Producing company drilled about 40 wells during the previous year and a half and not one of them was dry."
"When Leroy Bonsell engaged in the floral business in 1895? At that time there was no florist store in the central part fo the town. There were only three florists here and they sold direct from their greenhouses. Two of these were on Washington street. Bonsell was on Washington near Morris street, and a Mrs. Littleton, whose greenhouses were on the corner fo Morris and Lee streets. Mr. Bonsell is still living in Charleston."
"When cows ran at large here in the early 80's? They became such a nuisance that the question was taken up before the city council and it did not act. At the following election f the council cows was the only issue. The election was bitterly fought on that question. The ordinance was eventually passed."
"When William Martin fell from his horse and was killed 44 years ago? On December 18, 1894, Martin, an aged man, was found dead just below his home on the Elk Two-Mile creek. He was found lying with his head in the waters of the creek. Coroner Hudnell of Maiden district said the man had fallen off his horse into the creek and drowned."
"When Alva Roach, a structural iron worker, while working on the new post office building 27 years ago, fell 35 or 40 feet to the ground? Roach was building a cable while standing on the west wall of the post office building and was swept off by the slipping of the rope. A large crowd saw him and thought he was killed, but he fell on soft earth and was able to get upon his feet after his tumble. He struck a board while falling and two of his ribs were broken. He was taken to the Barber sanitarium and was out again in a few days. His miraculous escape from death of serious injury was the source of much comment."
"Photo taken at Logan in 1914 when Charleston chamber of Commerce members made a good will tour throughout the state. The trip was made by train and souvenir editions of the Charleston Gazette were among literature passed out by the good will visitors. Pictured from left to right are the late Mayor R. P. DeVan, Okey Johnson, Floyd Payne and Robert L. Smith, who is holding a souvenir paper."
"When the Gates Paint Manufacturing company was founded in 1861? It was founded by James Madison Gates. In a few years he was joined by his brother, Virgil A, Gates who came here from Gallipolis, Ohio, to help him in the store, which was then located in a one room shack on Kanawha Street. Shortly after the Civil War broke out a younger brother, George W. Gates was left in charge of the store while the older brothers went to war in the Union Army. After the war the business was moved to the corner of Summers and Virginia streets. The new building constructed in 1871 by the Gates brothers, was the first three story building in Charleston. People came from miles around to see the city's first skyscraper."
"When regular equipment for those who smoked was sun glass in the early 60's? Matches were not yet invented. On sunny days men lighted pipes and cigars by concentrating the sun rays through the glass. On dark days they used a flint and steel, and a piece of punk. Candles were standard lighting equipment. Pins and needles were made by hand. Every family had its medicine cabinet with remedies including calomel, jalup and ipecac bark. There also were a number of teas such as sassafras and tansy."
"When locks and dams were constructed in the Kanawha river between 1880 and 1898? At that time there were 10 locks and dams constructed in the Kanawha river. The dismantling of locks and dams Nos. 6 and 9, several years ago, marked the end of an epoch in Kanawha river navigation, just as the Louden dam which was the first of four forming the new $24,500,000 system typifies the new era. Prior to 1875 according to Major F. F. Frech of the U.S. engineers, the United States had spent $50,000 in improving the Kanawha river by constructing wing dams and cutting chutes. The two fixed and eight movable dams, with single locks varying in dimensions from 50x271 feet to 55 x 315 feet were constructed during the period from 1880 to 1898. Lock and dam No. 5 was one of the first to be completed, being finished in 1880. Locks No. 6 and 7 were completed in 1886 and 1893 respectively. They were in service from 35 to 50 years."
"When trap shooting was a popular sport in the early 90's in Charleston? Members of the Charleston Gun club were H. D. Goshorn, Governor Emanuel Willis Wilson, of West Virginia, Mose Donnally, David Ray, Harry Minsker, John Ritter, David Baird, Fred Couch, Hoyle Mead, Edward Reid, Louis Wilson, Harvey Scott, Julius DeGruyter,Sr., W.F. Goshorn, Dr. J. N. Mahan. Fred Sweet, Dr. A.H. Boyd, J. A. Holley, former mayor of Charleston and state attorney general, Will Levi and "Cap' Hall."
"When the governor's mansion stood for about 45 years in the west side of Capitol street, just south of what is now and extension of Washington street? It was torn down after the old state house burned. The mansion was purchased by the state at the close of Governor A.B. Fleming's administration. It was occupied by Governors MacCorkle, Atkinson, White, Dawson , Glasscock, Hatfield, Cornwell and Morgan. Governor Morgan was the first governor to occupy the present governor's mansion on Kanawha street."
"When Charleston chapter American Red Cross was organized? It received its charter from national headquarters, Washington, D.C., February 14, 1914, at which time there was seemingly very little need for such a service. Consequently its growth did not start until February 13, 1917 when word was received from Washington to reorganize and be ready for work as soon as possible as war seemed inevitable. Dr. A.A. Shawkey, who was instrumental in starting the first work in 1914, was appointed chairman by the committee. Special credit was given to Mrs. H.C. Lounsberry, first Red Cross nurse in West Virginia who organized the chapter for nursing service during the war."
"Photo of the old Lock No, 7 taken in 1922. The lock was located between Sattes and Nitro. It was part of the federal government's first 'movable dam' project for the Kanawha River. The lock was completed in 1893 and removed in 1937 following the completion of the river's new system of roller gate locks and dams."
"When Spring Hill cemetery was established 68 years ago? It was laid out in 1871. It was named for the chalybeate spring on the hillside, near the cemetery road. The same year Piedmont road was constructed. Also, in that year Charleston was first lighted with gas and the first steam ferry was established here."
"When the symphony orchestra gave a series of concerts here 20 years ago? The first concert was given in the high school auditorium on March 31, 1919, and was well attended. The orchestra was the largest ever assembled in the city. Forty musicians responded to the conductor, W. S. Mason. The soloists were Henri Schultze, Richmond Houston, violinist, Wille Schultze, cellist and Arthur Hurlin."
"When several coal barges were carried down stream by high water on July 17, 1916? With a stage of water registering over the 29 feet the crest of the flood reached Charleston and then slowly began to recede. Within the city practically no damage was done with the exception of a few cellars that were partially filled with water in the low lying sections. Along the river, however, there was considerable loss due to breaking away of coal barges and the floating off of equipment. Fifteen empty barges an eight loaded ones were lost by the Belmont Coal Company from its operations at East Bank."
"When the ' Chronicle' was published here in the 70's by C.H. Webb? It was a four page, seven column paper, independent in politics. The office was on the second floor of the Kaufman building at the corner of Kanawha and Summers streets. The printers were Charles, Walter and Frank Webb, sons of the publisher. A Washington hand press was used."
"When Colonel John Baker White returned from a trip to Mexico about 21 years ago? He brought with him motion pictures of bull fights which he exhibited at a local theater. As the pictures were thrown on the screen, Col. White gave an interesting and thrilling lecture on bull fighting. It was shown to a crowded house."
"Photo of the Charleston High School graduating class of 1920 in front of the old high school building which is now Thomas Jefferson Junior High School. Among those in the photo are James K. Thomas, now speaker of the house of delegates; William Thomas, member of a five man committee to aid Finnish relief; Dr. James L. Hager, physician and surgeon; Dr. Dorsey Farnsworth, dentist; Ben Reber, now with a Baltimore newspaper; Mrs. Halycon Goff Comrey, now advertising director for Coyle and Richardson; louis Levi, former assistant city solicitor of Cincinnati; Louise Henneman, now Mrs. Bayard Ennis and secretary for United Carbon; Mrs. Margaret Simms Mitter, secretary to Mayor D. Boone Dawson; William Hugh Holstein, with E.I. duPont de Nnemours; Ivan Richard Lee, architect; Edward Ross McGovran, former member of the faculty of the University of Illinois and now connected with the government agricultural extension station at Hattsville, Md., Joseph William Thomas, attorney, John H. Charnock, attorney and Sol Padlibsky, Gazette reporter."
"When hundreds of Charleston folks flocked to the Chesapeake and Ohio railroad station in the fall of 1912 to greet Theodore Roosevelt? He could be seen on the platform of his private car as he traveled across the nation in behalf of his candidacy for president of the 'Bull moose' ticket when he balked his Republican alliance. Soon after, Woodrow Wilson became president, defeating Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, the Republican candidate, and the Socialist candidate. Eugene Debs. West Virginia gave Wilson 113,046 votes, Roosevelt, 78,977; Taft, 56,667 and Debs, 15,336. Among the state presidential electors that year was Delegate Ben H. Butcher of Parkersburg."
"That John W. Slaughter owned the old salt works at Brownstown (now Marmet) 90 years ago? He joined the Confederate army when 27 years old, in Charleston. It was known as the Kanawha Riflemen. He was transferred to a regiment that was going to Virginia to fight in the Shenandoah valley. His regiment was in camp at the Narrows close to Pearisburg, Virginia. He was in the battle of New Market where the majority of the Virginia Military cadets were killed and Slaughter was seriously wounded. While they were stationed at Pearisburg, Slaughter met a young lady by the name of Senora Mahood, and it was love at first sight. Upon learning of his critical condition, Miss Mahood persuaded her father, Judge Alexander Mahood to drive a soring wagon with a mattress from Pearisburg to New Market, Virginia and bring Slaughter back to Pearisburg to their home where she nursed him back to health. Following the war, they were married and moved to Oak Hill, Fayette county. They had three sons, Andrew, who has been associated with the Mathews Printing Company for 33 years and lives at 2809 Venable Street, South Ruffner; John, who lives in Charleston and the Rev. Charles Slaughter, a Methodist minister who reside at Barboursville. Hon. Alexander Mahood of the public service commission and Charles Mahood an attorney are grandsons of the late Judge Alexander Mahood."
"When Edward Penn did all the excavating for many of the larger buildings that were erected in the Kanawha valley 50 years ago? He was one of the best known Negroes in Charleston and was liked by all the people. He employed about 50 men and 35 teams in hauling dirt used to fill Virginia street between Truslow and Clendenin streets. This was low lying land and there was no way to drive through. Penn arrived here afoot the second year after the Civil War from Christiansburg, Virginia and brought with him Henry Mosby, James Collins, Fenton Hill, James Campbell, Benjamin Franklin, John McCormick and Louis Mosby. For nearly fifty years he lived in his own home at the corner of Washington and Brooks streets, where his six children were born. One son, Rufus was in the dry cleaning business on Washington street, adjoining their home, for many years. His house is still standing."
The following articles did not have a date recorded on the clipping. I assume they @1938- 1940's. By Mrs. Billie Richardson for the Charleston Gazette.
"An old picture taken in 1911 at 611 Virginia Street, East, opposite the present day Salvation Army building. At the wheel of the car (a 1910 model Buick) is Holley D. Robinson and J. Monroe Robinson, proprietor of the Robinson Hotel. The picture was furnished by Howard E. Robinson, son of J. Monroe Robinson."
"When the Charleston Association of Display men celebrated their second annual dress up show at Charleston 23 years ago? Three hundred men of Charleston, representative of the type that led the capital city of West Virginia forward in the march of progress sat and cheered on March 19,1917, while four of the foremost citizens portrayed in elegant phrases the spirit of unity and cooperation which had resulted in a growth during a period of 35 years from 3,500 to 35,000. 'What West Virginia, as well as Charleston most needs is a puckering string' was the keynote sounded by former State Tax Commissioner Fred O. Blue, as he dwelt upon and commended the inaugural address of Governor Cornwell. Among the speakers were former Gov. W,A. MacCorkle, Feed O. Blue and Sen. William E. Chilton, who said, You have not only the best people on earth here, but the best place in which to build."
"When 68 years ago snow fell in Charleston? On the 22nd day of April, 1872 snow fell to the depth of nearly three feet. Many shade and fruit trees were damaged. On that day John Robinson's circus came to town, on flat boats and barges, landing at the foot of Summers Street. It was impossible to get the tents up because of the weight of the falling snow. After several attempts the showmen reloaded paraphernalia and dropped back down the river. Hundreds of people who had come from the surrounding territory were disappointed."
"When large fish were plentiful in the river as far up as Kanawha Falls 50 years ago? That was before the locks and dams were put in the Kanawha river. Folks living about Kanawha Falls, recall that mud cats and sturgeons were seen that weighed 75 to 100 pounds. Few steamboats ever ascended the river to the falls, but that feat was accomplished by at least two within the last 60 years. One of these was the towboat Abe McDonald on April 7, 1886. That boat was seen on the Monongahela River 13 or 14 years before she made the trip to the falls."
"When the first legal execution in Kanawha county occurred in 1860? It was the hanging of a circuit riding preacher by the name of Preston Turley, for the murder of his wife. He threw her out of a boat and held her under the water until she drowned. Turley was hanged on Ferry Branch opposite Charleston."
"When M.L. Gallinger was arraigned before Judge Vickers in police court, April 4, 1916, on a charge of violating the Yost law? He was sent to jail in default of a $500 bond to await the action of the grand jury. Gallinger claimed he came from Columbus Ohio, and was on his way to Boomer where he intended to go to work. When arrested by Officer Lacy at the K. and M. station he had five quarts of unlabeled whiskey. His plea was ignorance of the law."
"When the task of mustering soldiers from the Kanawha valley for the Confederate cause was assigned to John McCausland? He was a graduate and a teacher at Virginia Military Institute. McCausland was instructed to 'Adhere strictly to a defensive policy and endeavor to give assurance to the inhabitants'. The task of mustering these forces was not an easy one as indicated by a letter written to headquarters by McCausland's successor, Col. Christopher Q. Tompkins, in May 1861 in which he stated: 'Great excitement prevails in this region. The divided sentiment of the people adds to the confusion and except the few loyal companies now in service of the state, there are few of the people who sympathize with secession policy. An effort to arouse public support to the cause was indicated by proclamations displayed in public places and on trees along the turnpike throughout the valley which read:"Men of Virginia, Men of Kanawha, the enemy has invaded your soil. Protect your homes. You cannot serve two masters."
"When Utility Service syndicate was formed 37 years ago? City water, light and gas plants passed into the hands of a syndicate in 1903. The officers of the company were Richard Elkins, president; W.F. Sadler, Jr., secretary, treasurer and general manager. The incorporators were S.B. Elkins, Richard Elkins, C. W. Swisher, W.F. Sadler, Jr., and Colin Livingstone."
"When Colonel 'Flintlock Perry' saved a jailer's life from a mob in 1874? Sixty-six years ago Charleston was visited by an angry and reckless mob from Malden. It was a cold, dark and dreary night in November when the mob came here to take two murderers, Estep and Dawson out and lynch them. Col. 'Flintlock Perry was a deputy under Sheriff P. W. Morgan. The mob demanded possession of the prisoners but the jailer refused to surrender them. The mob the took the jailer out and threatened to hang him. The jailer's wife was critically ill. To save the life of the jailer Col. Perry stepped up an offered himself to be hanged in place of the jailer. The mob took him at his word and releasing the jailer placed the rope around the neck of the mob, that it desisted and Perry was released. The mob returned the following night and got their men. Sheriff Morgan said Col. Perry was 'like a flintlock gun-always ready for action'. From that time onward Col. Perry was called 'Flintlock' Perry. He later founded and was editor of the Kanawha Valley Democrat. That was in 1894. He was exceedingly popular."
"When committees were appointed for the Kanawha county Republican club on April 22, 1911? The club was organized at a meeting in the state house. The naming of the members of the two committees rested with governor and on April 24 they were announced as follows: On constitution and by-laws, Fred Paul Grosscup, chairman; Malcolm Jackson, O. A. Petty, Grant P. Hall, G. A. Bolden, John R. Foster, Joseph H. Gaines, S. B. Avis, S.P. Smith and H. D. Rummel; on nominations, I. Schwabe, chairman; Fred M. Staunton, G .E. Breece, W. S. Edwards, L. M. LaFollette, M. T. Roach, William Fielder, Ben Baer, E. L. Whitney, T. Imboden and E.C. Bauer."
"Photo taken during flood time in Charleston in 1898. The building in the background is the old state house which was located on Capitol street where the Kanawha Valley Bank building is now located. High water ran up into the capitol grounds. Transportation up Capitol street was by boat until the flood subsided. Col. Robert S. Carr, familiarly known as 'Uncle Bob' and his faithful horse Nell, were photographed while looking at the scene."
"When 'The MacCorkle' was selected as the name for a new United States vessel 19 years ago? The name of 'MacCorkle' was selected by the Kanawha county liberty loan committee for a ship under construction by the Emergency Fleet corporation. The honor had been conferred on Kanawha county as the result of the good record made during the fourth liberty loan. Only nine cities and counties in the fifth federal reserve district had been given the privilege of naming a ship. Kanawha county was the only one in the state to be given this honor. Only two other cities were in the list to mane ships. The name was selected in honor of former Governor W.A. MacCorkle, state chairman of the liberty loan committee. Governor MacCorkle was asked by the committee to name a sponsor for the ceremonies when the ship was to be launched."
"When Sheriff Bonner Hill and Prosecuting Attorney T. C. Townsend poured whiskey into the river 23 years ago? The liquor had been accumulating in the basement of the court house for several months as the result of involuntary contributions made by individuals who had been detected in the attempt to evade the provisions of the state prohibition law. As a starter some 1.500 pints were loaded in a wagon and hauled to the banks or the Kanawha, where the bottles were broken and the contents sent to swell the flooded stream. A crowd gathered on the river bank to watch the process of destruction. Many lips were smacking. The remaining stock in the custody of the sheriff was then about 3,000 pints which were taken out the following day and disposed of in the same manner."
"Old picture made about 45 years ago on Slack street. It is the engine and crew of an old Charleston, Clendenin and Sutton railway train. Left is Billy Burns of 649 West Washington street. For 25 years an employee of the Appalachian Power Company. Third from the left is William Kelly, deceased and sixth from the left is James Sturgeon. Frank Cunningham, engineer is standing on the side of the engine."
"When a great storm with high winds visited Charleston 38 years ago? For an hour the storm raged on July 11, 1902. For a while it seemed as though every tree in the city would be uprooted. Morris street between Lee and Washington streets was almost blocked by fallen trees. On Magazine branch, fences and outhouses were washed away and crops ruined. Damage among the river craft was not as severe as was expected. Street cars were stopped by the water overflowing the tracks on the West Side. Falling trees and washed out poles caused the two telephone companies considerable trouble."
"When increase in license tax authorized by the legislature 31 years ago, made up the loss caused by the wiping out of more than 100 saloons in the state? While the prohibition forces routed the wets in the counties of Kanawha, Mineral, Randolph and Lewis and no saloon licenses were granted in these counties, the state treasury lost nothing as a result of the temperance wave. The state legislature increased the saloon license tax to $1,000, the highest point ever reached in this state for a license to conduct a retail liquor saloon, raising the tax from $600 and this yearly increase of $400 made up the loss occasioned by the refusal of licensing bodies in some localities to issue licenses.
"When Governor and Mrs. W. E. Glasscock entertained at dinner at the executive mansion 30 years ago? On February 5, 1910, the mansion was beautifully decorated for the social event. The guests included Judge and Mrs. Robinson, Judge and Mrs. Miller, judge and Mrs. Williams, Judge and Mrs. Brannon, Judge and Mrs. Burdette, Judge and Mrs. McWhorter, Judge and Mrs. Keller and Mr. and Mrs. Townsend."
"Photo in 1912 in front of the city fire department and shows one of the fire wagons then in use. W.C. Eary, seated is the driver and next to him is Capt. Will Singleton, deceased. From Left to right are Howard High, W. T. Whatley, Leo Price and Arnold Dame, all members of the fire department. The horse on the left was the department's famous Barney."
"When the Rev. William Steele of the Little Kanawha Methodist Episcopal circuit preached the first sermon in Charleston January 1,1804? The services took place at the home of a Mr. Williams at Kanawha and Hale streets. For some time after that he stopped at the town for one sermon each month. The Rev. Asa Shinn, a Methodist Episcopal minister, was the first to be assigned to his circuit. The Rev. Henry Bascom of the Methodist Episcopal church took Charleston into his circuit in 1813. A class was formed the next year and a few years later a frame church was built. A dozen or more itinerant preachers served prior to 1834, when under the supervision of the Rev. W. W. Young, D.D., the Ashbury brick chapel was erected. The state street church was built in 1872 and a parsonage was erected in 1900. Bowman Methodist Episcopal, West Side was built in 1892 on Elk avenue. The Rev. Sage and Presiding Elder Graham were in charge at the time, although the church had been temporarily organized some time before."
"When Kanawha street was once the main business block 60 or more years ago? Many leading retail stores were on Kanawha street between Capitol and Summers street in the early days of city history. At the corner of Capitol was Kanawha Valley Bank, then Ed. L. Boggs drug store, J. G. Satterthwait's jewelry store, Rand & Goshorn's dry goods, Noyes S. Burley, hardware; Marx Kaufman men's clothing; H.T. Sheffey dry goods; I.E. Nicholas confectionary; Gates and Chamber hardware; John Jeffries boots and shoes; B. Gallenberg hats and caps. In the office rooms on the second floors of these buildings were the old Keuka lodge Knights of Pythias hall, on the corner of Summers street over the stores of Gallenberg and Jeffries; near the center of the block, over Nicholas and Shiffey's places, were the law offices of H.C. and L. E. McWhorter, Col. George W. Patton, lieut. L.A. Martin and Henry Middleton and the insurance office of N.B. Coleman and company."
"That the completion of the James River and Kanawha Turnpike in 1820 opened one of the state's most picturesque years in transportation, that of the stagecoach? Prior to the completion of this turnpike overland travel had been entirely by pack horse of Conestoga wagons. Now that the road was graded and improved so that year around travel was possible transportation companies could depend on regular business. Transportation companies such as the Pioneer, Good Intent and June Bug came into being. Each company owned 12 coaches and scores of horses. Coaches varies in size and shape from crude wagons to egg shaped coaches resembling recent streamlined automobiles. They were named the stage chaise, stage wagon, stage chariot, flying mail stage, flying machine, and flying wagon, such being built to suit the time, condition , usually with a change of horses at each stop. In 1820, carriage bodies were egg shaped, suspended by leather straps which absorbed shocks from rough roads much as the shock absorber in today's autos. Coaches gave way to the Concord coach toward the end of the third decade. This coach was first put on the market in 1827 and described as the 'only perfect passenger vehicle ever built'. It was far more substantial and roomy than the former coaches and was built for carrying passenger and freight on top as well as in the coach."
"Photo of the Kanawha River front taken in 1914 when river passenger traffic was just closing its heyday. The boat near the wharf in background is the Liberty Bell sent here by the Greene Lines of Pittsburgh as a Sunday excursion boat. It's most regular run was between Charleston and Montgomery. When baseball games or other outings were planned, however, the boat would change its course to suit plans going as far as Buffalo and Poca on Sunday pleasure trips. The boat was a favorite transport for baseball teams of the day, as well as fans, who rode on the boat with their favorite teams. The boat was recalled to Pittsburgh during 1915."
"That the first little up-river packet ran to Charleston and above 75 years ago? It was called the 'Here's Your Mule', and was built in 1864. The next two built here expressly for the upper trade were the 'Wild Goose' and 'Lame Duck' in 1878." 'When a very narrow, but violent, hurricane passed over the lower end of this town 81 years ago? Joseph Caldwell lived in a two story brick house, above the Farley house. After uprooting trees on both banks of the river, the cyclone struck this house off the upper story evenly. It blew away a bed with two children sleeping in it., and landed them safely 'right side up' in the garden, in the rear of the house, unharmed. The course of the cyclone was southwest to northeast. It passed up Elk river, thence up Two-Mile creek, over to Blue Creek and on. Its path was easily traceable from central Kentucky to central Pennsylvania. This was May 1858."
"Photo of the old Leonard Morris home taken before it was destroyed by fire in 1878? The house located at the outskirts of what is now known as Marmet where the waters of Len's Creek, named for Morris, and the Kanawha River meet. Built of logs, boards and stones, it stood through wars and Indian sieges for 104 years before its destruction. Historians say it was the first house built in the valley."
"When there was low swamp land opposite the new state Capitol building about 60 years ago? John Cole, the engineer recalls when a boy, that he with other boys of his age, used to skate on this strip of lowland in the winter season. Thick ice would form and the boys could skate from the lowlands all the way down to Capitol street. There was at that time a tunnel underneath Capitol street where the water flowed all the way down to where the new auditorium is being erected and thence into the Kanawha River. Mr. Cole now lives at Malden. His father, John Cole was a noted engineer."
"When Patrick Kenna Hetherman was credited in 1903 with being the youngest locomotive engineer in the world? Patrick was burt13 years old when he ran an engine, his father W. T. Hetherman, operated a locomotive that hauled coal several miles from the mines to the tipple at Kyle. He was born at Malden. The boy was named partly in honor of U.S. Senator John E. Kenna, of Charleston."
"Photo of two groups of students taken from 'Sherred Hall' annual for 1907. This private school, was first known as Miss Adam's school, was organized in around 1903 in Charleston. At the time the 1907 year book was published there were five teachers and 65 students. Students pictured left to right were Anna Jackson, Sara Swisher, Louise Howell, Virginia Williamson, Edward Knight, Florence Gates, Eustace Chilton and Pauline Staehlin. The lower row, left to right include Florence Staunton, Louise Morrison, Margaret Thayer, Ronald Haddaway, Ruth Shrewsbury, Isabel Beury, Caroline Ward, Louise Beury, and Bowman Weaver. Publishing of the year book was in charge of Margaret Morrison, editor in chief, Sylvia Baer, Bo Dixon, Mildred Baer, Frances Richardson and Virginia Mahan, editorial staff; Thomas B. Jackson, Pell Lewis and Robert Staehlin, business staff; Helen Sterrett, Juliet and Caroline Staunton, committee on arrangements."
"When General Funston ordered the West Virginia Second regiment to the Mexican border in 1916? General Frederick Funston in charge of the headquarters of the southern department of the United States army, on July 31, notified Adjutant General John C. Bond of the intended destination of the second regiment of the West Virginia national guard, but General Bond was not permitted to give it out for publication. He said the indications are the regiment will be moved south soon."
"When in the early 80's what is now Kanawha City was a farm and quail were plentiful there? At that time Charleston's much beloved citizen, John E. Kenna, was practicing law and shooting quail between times. One day he went up to Kanawha City on the north side of the river and engaged a man to ferry he and his dog 'Mag' across the river. While crossing, the boatman looked at Mr. Kenna and said, "What miught be your name"? Mr. Kenna replied. "My name is Kenna." The boatman then said," Do you know Mr. John E. Kenna?" The other answered , "Yes, I am John E. Kenna." The boatman seemed surprised and said, "They tell me that you can make $5 of the day practicing law." Mr. Kenna replied, "Yes, I make $5 a day when I practice law." The boatman bethought himself a moment and said, "If you can make $5 of the day practicing of the law, don't you think you have moughty little to do a coming up here and shooting these little birds."
'When in the late 90's there was high water here while the legislature was in session? The water backed up on Capitol street nearly to Quarrier street. "Uncle Bob ' Carr found a row boat and from that point he conveyed members of the legislature out Capitol, down Lee to Dickinson street and up Dickinson through the gate to the rear of the Capitol building. 'Uncle Bob' was greatly interested in the passing of some legislation. When he reached the Capitol building with the boat load of legislators, he stopped suddenly at the high water point and said, "Now boys, if you are not going to pass that bill, I'm going to dump you out into the water." They promised to vote for the bill, and 'Uncle Bob' proceeded with the boat to the capitol building. After he had the members of the legislature safely landed he turned the boat over to Charles Lewis and I. H. Johnson. They rowed out to the K. and M. railroad tracks, tied the boat to a coal car and loaded it with coal which was distributed to flood sufferers.' Uncle Bob' and Charles Lewis have passed on but I. H. Johnson is still living and is educational director of the state conservation commission."
"When log runners came down the Elk River to Charleston? They came on rafts of logs and walked all the way back to Clay Court House, a distance of 52 miles by river and 40 miles over the hills."
"Old Picture from 1906. Left to right are Marcus Myles, Neal Frazier, Jess Staley, Joe Nugen (deceased), Michael Sadd, Harry Morgan, Donald Frazier, Chester Williams, Tom Morgan (deceased), Clyde Frazier and W. H. Skees, standing in rear."
"When there were only five homes between Elk River and Kanawha Two-Mile in 1850? They were the homes on the farms of Major Carr, Judge Summers, Holly Hunt, Dr. Spicer Patrick and the Littlepage home. All of West Charleston to Two-Mile Creek has been built on the properties of these five families. Dr. Patrick gave a road across his river bottom farm to the Kanawha River for the convenience of travel of shipping by steamboat. It was called 'Patrick's Lane' 'Patrick's Landing.' It was a great convenience to the community. That lane is now known as Patrick Street. At the old "Patrick Landing' has been constructed the most beautiful bridge in the state, known as Patrick street bridge."
"When Isaac Padlibsky, grandfather of Sol Padlibsky had a grocery store on Quarrier Street near Dickinson Street 38 years ago? He occupied a one-story frame building near where the Holley Hotel now stands. In those days there were only seven Orthodox Jewish families living here, whereas now there are over a thousand."
"When the salt brines of the Kanawha Valley in West Virginia were utilized by the Indians, probably centuries before the white man came to America? In 1775, a white woman, taken prisoner by Shawnee Indians, managed to escape and return to the settlements. She said she had been taken to the Kanawha River near the present site of Charleston and there required to help her captors to boil salt from brines. The first commercial plant in West Virginia was established in 1797 on the Kanawha. Some of the early salt workers complained that their wells filled with oil and gas. During the present century many large chemical plants-some of them among the largest in the world-have been located in the Kanawha Valley and elsewhere in the state to make use of natural advantages available. West Virginia's proximity to eastern and middle-western markets; its transportation by rail, water and highway; its varied raw material resources, and its mineral fuels, coal, oil and gas-make the state an ideal location for any industrial enterprise."
"When practically every house on the banks of the Kanawha and Elk Rivers was equipped with what was at that time the best water systems for the convenience of homes, in the early 80's? Each house had a wire reaching from back porch to the river. A rope, windlass and bucket were used to draw the water for drinking, cooking and for all other purposes. People living away from the river relied upon wells and water carts for their supply. In those days a great many of the citizens built ice houses, and in winter garnered a supply of river ice to last them through the summer months. Those who were not fortunate enough to have their own supply of ice could go to the ice houses or their neighbors and obtain their supply. There were no ice deliveries in those days."
"Photo of Nell and Jane Bumgardner and Nell Palmer Charleston debutantes, 1920.
"When a Catholic church dedicated as 'Our Lady of Mercy' was established at Scary? Miss Claire Alphonsine Vintroux established it and presented it to Bishop Keane in 1881. The pastor was Father Stenger of Charleston, who was also pastor of Sacred Heart church. The little church was on a high point overlooking the Kanawha River near the mouth of Scary Creek. Miss Vintroux had a large country home and a general store, known as a cross roads store, at the mouth of Big Scary Creek, near the Scary battlefield. The' Lady of Mercy' church stood until the year 1915 when sparks from a C. and O. engine set fire to broom sage in a field nearby and the church was destroyed. The country home was burned in 1923. The church was considered a landmark by the people who traveled by steamboat on the Kanawha River during the years it stood at that point. Miss Vintroux was born in Lawrence county, Ohio, near the town of Athalia in 1825. Among her relatives are Kendall Vintroux, cartoonist of the Charleston Gazette and T. James and J. A. Vintroux of Winfield."
"When the John Beckley table was placed in the museum at the state house in the early 80's."
"When in 1857 Harman, Brown and Company ran a four horse coach? It was run between Charleston and Pt. Pleasant, leaving Charleston Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 4 a.m. and Pt. Pleasant on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 4p.m."
"When John A. Byers, United States engineer, planned and directed the work for the improvement of the Kanawha River? Two dredging boats were at work near Cannelton, 27 miles above Charleston and two at Peeled Maple Shoals eight miles below Charleston. It was predicted that the dredging for a distance of 90 miles from Loup Creek Shoals to Pt. Pleasant would be completed by the following November. This was April 9, 1861."
"When the Charleston Hotel company was incorporated 40 years ago? It was composed of Wesley Mollahan, J. N. Carnes, Harrison B. Smith, George W. McClintic and M. M. Williamson. Soon afterwards the company purchased the Ruffner Hotel property from the Ruffner brothers. The announcement of its purchase came as a surprise to the business public, and particular so to Van Orman and Taylor, the lessees at the time. The company was organized in March 1900, by the election of Harrison B. Smith as president. George W. McClintic as secretary and J. N. Carnes as treasurer. It was arranged for Col. Taylor to continue as manger of the hotel."
Do You Remember Series by Vera Brown.
"When C.E. Rudesill was a Republican candidate for mayor of Charleston March 9, 1903? Thomas J. Roberts was a candidate for city recorder, W. W. Wertz for city sergeant and Fred M. Staunton for city treasurer."
'When in 1894 a petition was circulated asking the legislature to change the boundary of Kanawha and Clay counties so as to give about one-tenth of Big Sandy district to Clay County? The proposed line would have extended from the mouth of Queen Shoals creek to the mouth of Little Blue Creek on Big Sandy, and thence with the Roane County line to the Clay County line."
"When the Kanawha County court on January 1, 1895, authorized W. S. Lewis or his assignees the right to cross the county bridge at Clendenin with his railway truck? The rental was $100 a year for five years with the privilege fo renewing for five years more at the same rental."
Do You Remember Series by Phyllis Moore Gallagher
"Picture of the ladies' aid society of Poca Methodist Episcopal Church taken in 1910 at the home of Captain Chambers of Raymond City. Included in the picture are Mesdames Jennie Frances, Robert Carey, Ed Wilson, Edlow Kent, Sarah Smith, Mary Handley, Ellen Johnson, Captain Chambers, Katie Custer, Elinor Poff (Hicks), Emma Cunningham, president, Pat Allen, Don Burman, vice president Victoria Johnson, Master Edward, son of Victoria Johnson, Carolyn, Helen and Inca Custer, daughters of Mrs. Katie Custer."
"When the Davis Child Shelter was organized 42 years ago? It was named in honor of Henry Gassaway Davis, former United States senator, who donated the home in May, 1896. Senator Davis purchased the property for $13,500. Subsequently he built an addition. The home was under the control of an executive committee which consisted of former Governor George W. Atkinson, the Rev. R. D. Roller, the Rev. T. C. Johnson, D. D., George E. Price, H. G. Davis and H. C. McWhorter."
County History Resources
West Virginia History Center