Ingleside Train Collision

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
May 26, 1927

Official Probe Virginian Rail Wreck Started

Hayes, I. C. C. Representative, On Scene; No Report from Coroner

Charles T. Craft, This City, Slightly Hurt

Electrocution Is Suggested As Cause of Death of Engine Crew; Only Seven of 21 Injured Men Still Remain in Hospital

Official investigation was started yesterday by representatives of the interstate commerce commission as to the cause of the wreck Tuesday at Ingleside, W. Va., when a Virginian passenger train and freight train met head on, killing two members of the train crew and injuring twenty-one others, most of whom were passengers.

Representative Hayes, of the interstate commerce commission, is officiating at the investigation. He arrived yesterday from Washington, D. C. Investigations by the commission are customary when deaths result from wrecks and heavy property damage is sustained, it was pointed out.

No Official Report

The report of the investigator will be made direct to the commission and until then no official statement as to the cause will be made, it was said. However, reports indicate that the passenger crew had orders to stop at Ingleside to meet the freight, but for some reason misconstrued their orders and after going a short distance met head on with the freight train drawn by one of the Virginian's large electric motors.

The steam locomotive pulling westbound passenger train No. 3 mounted the top of the electric giant and hung there until wrecking crews removed it. The theory has been advanced that E. G. Alridge, engineer, and F. M. O'Neal, fireman on the passenger engine, were electrocuted when the engine became tangled with the electrification wires overhead. Other reports declare they were cooked by escaping steam.

County officials yesterday did not deem it necessary to hold an inquest or make any investigation into the wreck, feeling that the investigation by the interstate commerce commission would be sufficient.

Bluefield Man Hurt

Charles T. Craft, of the Washington apartments, this city, and representative of the Peerless Explosive company, was among thos injured. Mr. Craft suffered a wrenched back and bruises to his legs and body. After being treated at the Memorial hospital, Princeton, he returned to Bluefield early yesterday. His injuries were not considered serious.

Seven of the thirteen injured passengers taken to the hospital at Princeton for treatment were yet inmates of that institution last night. Most of the injured were discharged from the hospital Tuesday evening and two others left yesterday.

The condition of J. L. Weaver, engineer on the electric motor, was reported very satisfactory last night. Mr. Weaver is a former engineer of the Norfolk and Western railroad, it is said.

The body of Engineer Aldrich was taken home at Roanoke yesterday and the body of Fireman O'Neal was taken to Oak Hill, W. Va., for burial.


West Virginia Archives and History