Skip
Navigation


State Resorts, Parks, and Forests

The State Resorts, Parks, and Forests exhibit was on display in the Archives and History Photo Gallery between November 2015 and February 2016.


Photograph, Three visitors to Audra State Park, opened in 1954, enjoy the warm sunshine in the cool water of the Middle Fork River in southwestern Barbour County, 1987. Photograph by Steve Shaluta. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, West Virginians gathering for Opening Day at Babcock State Park, near Clifftop in Fayette County, 1 July 1937. Civilian Conservation Corps Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Unidentified newlywed couple honeymooning at a Babcock State Park cabin in August 1955. Photograph by David Cruise. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, A portion of the complicated boardwalk that allows access to the intricate Pottsville sandstone formations at Beartown State Park (established in 1970) in northern Greenbrier County. Photograph by David Fattaleh, July 1990. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Interior of one of the six cottages overlooking the lake at Beech Fork State Park (opened in 1979), located twelve miles south of Huntington. Photograph by Ron Snow. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Rumsey’s millstone on the grounds of Berkeley Springs State Park commemorates James Rumsey, one of the spring’s early developers. A state park since 1970, the site features a bathhouse built in 1815 that replaced one built by Rumsey in 1784. Photograph by David Cruise, 1957. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Blackwater Falls Resort State Park was named in 1937 for the falls shown here as they plunge sixty-plus feet from a Connoquenessing sandstone ledge into the eight-mile-long Blackwater Gorge through Tucker County. Photograph by David Cruise, September 1958. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park is on an Ohio River island in Wood County, near Parkersburg, where one can see and tour a replica of the mansion constructed there by Harman Blennerhassett, circa 1800. Photograph by Ron Snow, August 1986. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Bluestone State Park, situated on the western shore of Bluestone Lake, has provided recreational opportunities in Summers County since 1950. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Cabwaylingo State Forest was established in Wayne County as a Civilian Conservation Corps project during the mid-1930s. Shown here are children at a swimming hole on the Fourth of July, 1961. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Morgan County experienced the opening of Cacapon Resort State Park in 1937. Twenty years later this young family experienced a Kodak moment at the lakeside swimming area, June 1957. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, In 1953 Calvin Price State Forest was dedicated in Pocahontas and Greenbrier counties. A famous trail, shown here, passes through. Photograph by Ron Snow. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Camp Creek State Forest was established in 1945 and opened its five thousand plus acres in 1953. In 1987 five hundred acres were separated from the forest and designated Camp Creek State Park. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Skiers at Tucker County’s Canaan Valley Resort State Park, which opened in 1971. Photograph by Arnout Hyde Jr. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Fashionable skier readies herself for the slopes at Canaan Valley Resort State Park, January 1972. Photograph by Gerald Ratliff. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Civil War battle reenactment at Carnifex Ferry Battlefield State Park (established 1935) in Nicholas County, September 1973. Photograph by Steve Ladish. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Cass Scenic Railroad State Park in Pocahontas County carried its first passengers five days before West Virginia’s one hundredth birthday. Here, Shay #7 idles next to the Cass station. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, January 1972 image of the entrance to Cathedral State Park, created in Preston County in 1942, which shelters virgin eastern hemlock forest; some of the trees stand ninety feet tall and nearly seven feet in diameter. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, A young nature lover on one of the trails at Cathedral State Park, August 1980. Photograph by Gerald Ratliff. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Gilmer County’s Cedar Creek State Park, a few miles from Glenville, has been a popular camping destination since it opened in 1955. Photograph by Gerald Ratliff, July 1987. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Picnic facilities at Chief Logan State Park, founded in 1969 four miles north of Logan. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Coopers Rock State Forest facilities, including this overlook of the Cheat River Gorge, were built by Civilian Conservation Corps workers during the late 1930s. Photograph by David Cruise. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Henry Clay iron furnace, built circa 1835, is a prominent feature of Coopers Rock State Forest. It functioned about a dozen years and employed up to two hundred men making four tons of pig iron a day. West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, The log entrance gate at Droop Mountain Battlefield State Park, built in 1936 by Civilian Conservation Corpsmen including Charles Ault, center, enhances West Virginia’s first state park, opened on July 4, 1928. Argil Rexroad Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Actually the sixth Fairfax Stone, dedicated with the park in 1957, this 12,000 pound slab is the centerpiece of Fairfax Stone Historical Monument State Park at (and marks) the juncture of Grant, Preston and Tucker counties. Photograph by Gerald Ratliff. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Friends spend an evening playing cards in one of the twelve cabins at Greenbrier State Forest, established in Greenbrier County in 1938. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Opening day for the tramway connecting the lodge at Fayette County’s Hawks Nest State Park to the New River some seven-hundred fifty feet, April 1970. Photograph by Gerald Ratliff. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Two park workers pruning rhododendron at the overlook built by Civilian Conservation Corps workers in the late 1930s at Hawks Nest State Park. Photograph by David Cruise, 1956. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Angler next to a feature known as The Chute through which Big Run enters Left Fork of Holly River along the southern boundary of Holly River State Park (established 1938) in Webster County. Photograph by David Cruise. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Campground dwellers at Kanawha State Forest, constructed by Civilian Conservation Corps workers in the 1930s, seven miles south of Charleston. Photograph by Steven Meadows, November 1969. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Picnic area built by Civilian Conservation Corpsmen in the late 1930s at Randolph County’s Kumbrabow State Forest. Photograph by Gerald Ratliff. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Young fellow hoping to pull a lunker from the waters of Little Beaver Lake fifteen years before it became part of Little Beaver State Park near Beckley. Photograph by Harold Lambert, May 1957. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Workers’ barracks at Camp Hardy, Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1524, during the construction of Lost River State Park in the mid-1930s. Elizabeth Mathias Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Horses and people near the stable at Hardy County’s Lost River State Park, which opened on the first of July 1937. Photograph by David Cruise. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Beaver lodge in Monroe County’s Moncove Lake in 1967 when it was part of a wildlife management area. In 1990 it was designated as Moncove Lake State Park. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, North Bend State Park entrance, 5 May 1957. The park was established in Ritchie County in 1951 and now has a lodge, cabins, campsites and a rail trail. Photograph by Robert Bowers. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Swimming pool and swimmers at Panther State Forest in southern McDowell County, near the West Virginia-Kentucky-Virginia meeting point, 1963. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Towering sandstone formation that gives its name to Pinnacle Rock State Park (established in 1938) in Mercer County, 1955. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Lookout tower atop Pipestem Knob at Pipestem Resort State Park, which was founded in 1963 and opened in 1967. Photograph by Gerald Ratliff, 1973. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Riders on the tramway at Pipestem Resort State Park witness a Mercer County sunset over the Bluestone Gorge. Photograph by Gerald Ratliff. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, A corner blockhouse and two small cabins inside the twelve-foot palisade walls at Prickett’s Fort State Park, north of Fairmont, which opened in 1976. Photograph by Gerald Ratliff, October 1976. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Opened in 1924, Seneca State Forest, the oldest of West Virginia's state forests, offers almost twelve thousand acres of forested Pocahontas County hiking trails, pioneer cabins and a big swimming hole, seen here. West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Lodge at Lewis County’s Stonewall Jackson Lake State Park, opened in 1990. Photograph by Ron Snow. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, 1957 image of the dam on Tomlinson Run in northern Hancock County that creates the lake at Tomlinson Run State Park, opened in 1935. Photograph by B. D. Wills. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Revolutionary War battle monument at Tu-Endie-Wei State Park in Point Pleasant. Photograph by Gerald Ratliff. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Wyoming County rock formation at Twin Falls Resort State Park, which opened in 1968. Photograph by Thomas Evans, May 1973. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, The lodge overlooking the lake at Tygart Lake State Park, founded in 1945. Photograph by Hal Dillon, 1962. Natural Resources Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, A portion of the long series of waterfalls of the Tygart Valley River separating Marion and Taylor counties in Valley Falls State Park, October 1974. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, A portion of the Greenbrier River running through Watoga State Park, which opened in 1937 after Civilian Conservation Corps construction. Photograph by Gerald Ratliff, June 1981. Commerce Collection, West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, Headquarters of Watoga State Park in Pocahontas County, 1940s. West Virginia State Archives
Photograph, A group of Clarksburg area Girl Scouts gathered at Watters Smith Memorial State Park in the summer of 1976. Clarksburg Exponent Collection, West Virginia State Archives


Photo Gallery

West Virginia Archives and History