April 21, 1937
The first of 440 historical and scenic markers to be erected on 44 highways in West Virginia will be installed and dedicated Monday afternoon at the site of the old state capitol building, Lee and Capitol streets.
Governor Holt, Administrator F. Witcher McCullough of the Works Progress administration, Maj. H. W. Shawhan, director of the state conservation commission and chairman of the West Virginia Commission on Historical and Scenic Marker[s], Dr. Roy Bird Cook, a member of the commission, and Road Commissioner Burr H. Simpson, will take part on the one-hour program.
The dedication will begin at 2:30 o’clock upon the arrival of the official party from the capitol. Maj. Shawhan will open the ceremonies and will signal the WPA workers to begin installation of the marker.
Upon completion of the work which probably will require 45 minutes, McCullough will make the formal presentation to Gov. Holt. Holt then will make a brief address of acceptance and Dr. Cook will explain the authenticity of the markers to be placed throughout the state. The governor will formally place the marker and job of maintaining all future markers in the hands of Road Commissioner Simpson.
The other markers already have been ordered and are enroute here from the factory. They will be installed by WPA workers immediately upon arrival. The work will be done under the supervision of the road commission at sites designated by the historical and scenic marker commission. The site of each marker will be landscaped and developed as a small beauty spot.
The road commission now has under preparation copy for a descriptive booklet which will list the location of the 440 markers, outline seven scenic and historical tours through the state. It will include 31 maps and more than 100 photographs. More than 50,000 of the booklets will be printed for distribution late this summer.
Monuments and Memorials