Photographs from the Page 5
West Virginia State Archives
Shelt Carpenter of Braxton County paddling the canoe he hand-made, circa 1930, Elk River. Photographer: Thomas Swisher
Alderson Baptist Church outing circa 1950 posing at the highway historical marker commemorating the battle at Carnifex Ferry. The boy standing in the background against the sign is Ron Perry. Manoka Woods Cox Collection. Click here to learn more about the marker program.
Parade float, Mountain State Forest Festival, Elkins.
Perspective rendering, Welch First Methodist Church. Hassel Hicks, Architect. 10x13.5 inches, ink and water-color wash on paper.
A lumberman displays a wide plank in the mill yard of Wilderness Lumber Company, Nallen, circa 1930. Harmon Young II Collection
Governor Henry D. Hatfield (behind flower arrangement at head table) and others listening to W.J. Williamson, Division Manager of C & P Telephone, at a demonstration on West Virginia Day at the Panama-Pacific Exposition, 21 July 1915.
Print of a single frame from motion picture footage shot on the Wheeling suspension bridge in the nineteen twenties.
Old West Virginia penitentiary guard tower, corner of Eighth Street and Washington Avenue. John P. Icard Collection
Moonshine still uncovered during raid in the Cheat Mountain region. Olin Ruth Collection. Ph92-94.
Captain Dayton C. Casto jr displaying the nose art of fighter "West 'By God' Virginia," January 1944. His P-47 was part of the 375th Fighter Squadron.
West Virginia Archives and History