Series 1, Volume 27, part 3, p. 626
Baltimore, July 9, 1863.
(Received 12.45 a.m.)
Hon. E. M. Stanton,
Secretary of War:
I have just forwarded the following to Major-General Meade. Allow me to submit it for your information and any action you may deem judicious:
Our engineer visited the Maryland side of the river at Harper’s Ferry to-day with his men and materials, to reconstruct the burned portions of the bridge at that point. He reports by telegraph that the enemy are in view there, in squads. These two bridges and 1,000 feet of trestling on the Virginia side are not yet destroyed. He fears that if we commence work on the river spans, the enemy will burn this important structure described, which would retard the opening of the road to Martinsburg, when you may desire it, at least one week. Under these circumstances, it appears injudicious to attempt the reconstruction in river until you occupy Harper’s Ferry in force. I beg your advice on this subject, and will await your instructions before taking further action.
J. W. Garrett,
Timeline of West Virginia: Civil War and Statehood: July 1863