Hover mouse over a dot on the map for details on West Union.
Named: For Phillip Doddridge, a distinguished statesman of Western Virginian.
County Seat: West Union
Land in Square Miles: 319.72
Population 2010 Census: 8,202
Persons per Square Mile 2010: 25.7
Primary Sources Online
Photographs of Schools in Doddridge County
Indian arrows and tomahawks, ploughed up on Cove Creek, Doddridge County in 1846.
Old Indian Spring on Carder's camp run of Cove Creek, walled in with stone slabs.
Capt. Nathan Davis, President of the County Court of Doddridge County 1846
Hon. Ephraim Bee; blacksmith, hotel keeper and farmer. Member of the first New-State Legislature; 1863, delivering a stump speech against Henry A. Wise's invasion, 1863
Eli B. Tucker, a noted fiddler and horse trader. On his right the tallest man in Doddridge; on his left, the smallest, William F. Davis, brother to Asa Davis (see No. 7). 1847
First German settlers' dwelling (Jacob Rupperts') near Cove Creek, St. Clara Colony, Doddridge County 1846
Debar House, built 1852 at the mouth of Carder's camp run of Cove Creek. Headquarters of the St. Clara Colony, the first successful settlement made by immigrant Germans within the boundary of West Virginia.
Mr. Joseph Gratz of Philadelphia, owner of a large tract of West Virginia land, and Daniel Sherwood, surveyor of Doddridge County, at a supposed corner of the Gratz survey, then involved in a tedious and noted litigation
Secondary Sources Online