Stoneway district, which lies in the eastern portion of this county, was named in the memory of Stonewall Jackson. It is believed that John Bias was the first settler within the limits of Stonewall. He built his cabin at the mouth of Lick Creek in 1802. His first neighbor was David Bartram who came a year later. And by the year 1807 several pioneer cabins were built. Among the earliest comers were Berry Adkins, Thomas Napier, William Lambert, Jesse Adkins, John Ferguson, Thomas Moore, Eldridge Smith, Wm. Thompson, Wm. Ferguson, Absalom Queen, Walter Queen, John Withrow, John Osburn, Sr.
Ambrose and Wm. Watts. Many of the descendants of these pioneers still live in Stonewall district. The first child ever born in the district was either Jeremiah Lambert or Thomas Napier, children of Wm. and Nancy Lambert and Thomas and Hamil Napier, respectively. The first marriage seems to have been that of Edmund Napier and Nellie Watts.
The first industry of any kind ever started in Stonewall district was an old-fashioned grist mill which was built by Sherrard Adkins at the mouth of Lick Creek in 1817. The first saw mill was not built until 1843. Thomas Napier built the first school house in Stonewall. It stood near the Mouth of Rich Creek and was of the five cornered type of house described in this paper a few weeks ago (Oct. 23, 1919).
The Bethesda church is believed to be the first religious organization within the district. It was founded in 1835 by Rev. Goodwin Lycan and Thos. Harmon. The Methodist church which was built in 1840 at Queens Ridge was the second attempt at religious organization. The first Sunday school was started in the year 1852.
Stonewall district, in recent years, has developed its mineral resources greater than any other district in the county. Coal and gas are found practically all over this district and there are a few shallow oil pools, but these have never been worked to a paying advantage.
The East Lynn Coal Company has done much to develop the mineral wealth of this territory. Two other boundaries of coal, known as the Butterick and Hoard tracts, hold forth some promise to a coal boom in Stonewall district in the next few years. Better schools and better farming methods are receiving the support of the citizens of this district, and marked improvement in this regard is noticeable in the last few years.
The broom factory which was started in Wayne a few weeks ago has been a pronouncing success. The average daily output is thirty brooms a day and this number is gradually increasing. Broom corn raised in Wayne County is quite as good as that grown in any other section of the state, and its production will be increased next year since the local factory will be a ready market.
Broom factories have sprung up all over the state in the last few months. The last to be put in operation is located at the Capitol building in Charleston. This work is being conducted under the direction of the W. Va. Department of Agriculture.
Transcription by June White
Wayne County News