Skip Navigation
West Virginia Highway Markers Database
1 Record Found
Title: Old Stone House County: Monongalia

Inscription: Oldest stone house in Monongalia County. By legend built by Jacob Nuze on original lot 25. Sold 1795 to tavern-keeper Henry Dering. Owned 1800-1813 by potters John Thompson and Jacob Foulk. Bought by Joseph Shackelford who operated a tanyard here for 50 years. A minister, he led the first Methodist reform movement in area. First Methodist-Protestant Church formed here, 1830. Sold to Frank Cox and George Baker, 1895. Used as dwelling and tailor shop. Occupied by Morgantown Service League, 1935, and restored to near original condition for use as headquarters and shop. House donated to League by Cox heirs, 1976.

Location: Chestnut Street, between house and city garage, Morgantown
Refine this Search

Records maintained by West Virginia Archives & History