Inscription: North 50 feet was first site for "The Shack," community center set up by Presbyterian mission worker Mary Behner to serve mining families of Scotts Run. Opened in a former stable of Persglove Coal Co., 1932. Site of educational, religious and community service programs, and political, social and labor meetings. Relocated in 1938.
By the 1930s 10,000 residents representing 28 nationalities and tied to the coal industry crowded the hillsides, victims of severe poverty brought on by a coal recession and Great Depression. "The Shack" and Scotts Run Settlement House brought needed services and interest of First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt in relief programs.