Following is a list of "Ten Characteristics of a health arts community" that was compiled by Americans for the Arts, a national service organization.
The Ten Characteristics of a Healthy Arts Community
1. The arts bring diverse people together.
2. Elected officials understand the importance of supporting the arts and do so.
3. Myriad learning opportunities exist in and out of school for adults and young people, including youth-at-risk. Fully integrate arts in school curriculum. Educators impart the understanding, appreciation and practice of the arts.
4. Active participation in culture creates individual and community meaning.
5. Responsible corporate citizens and businesses support the arts in every way
6. The arts are infused in the natural and built environments.
7. The arts are integral to civic dialogue and community building.
8. The arts are valued as an industry because of their contribution to the new economy, which encompasses quality of life, economic development and tourism.
9. The contributions of individual artists are valued and supported.
10. The arts flourish with new and diverse leadership.