Skip Navigation

Tyler County Courthouse

Main and Dodd Streets, Middlebourne

Tyler County Courthouse
historic view of courthouse Originally constructed in 1854, the Tyler County Courthouse underwent a complete renovation in 1922 when West Virginia architects Holmboe and Pogue were contracted to design a modest but impressive courthouse that would reflect the tastes and needs of a small rural community. The resulting building is a vernacular interpretation of Neo Classical Revival, an architectural style that was popular during the early 20th century. The courthouse’s main entrance and clock tower express this return to classical architecture especially well. The symmetry of the main entrance, the limestone pilasters and balustrade on the entrance’s second story, the triangular pediment with the denticulated cornice and sculpted figures, and the frieze incised with the words “Tyler County Courthouse” echo the permanence and solidity typical of classical Roman architecture. The symmetry of the clock tower, which has a brick base with an arcaded rail and stone urns, a louvered belfry, and a copper-covered dome, also reflects aspects of classical architecture.
-- LAL
pediment and frieze


Boone County Courthouse

Braxton County Courthouse

Brooke County Courthouse

Clay County Courthouse

Harrison County Courthouse

Jefferson County Courthouse

McDowell County Courthouse

Marion County Courthouse

Mercer County Courthouse

Pocahontas County Courthouse

Randolph County Courthouse

Tyler County Courthouse

Wood County Courthouse

A History of West Virginia Courthouses

Architectural Styles