Competition begins at noon each day at the Outdoor stages on the Capitol grounds.
West Virginia residents only.
Registration for all Contests:
11 a.m. - noon on Saturday and Sunday
Saturday Competition Categories
Sunday Competition Categories
Awards will be given following each contest.
1. Each contestant must play two (2) tunes appropriate for the category entered.
2. Each contestant may have a maximum of two (2) accompanists.
3. Each contestant should remember that popular crowd-pleasing tunes may not be in their best interest.
4. Medley-style tunes are not acceptable.
5. No electric instruments are allowed.
6. Scruggs tuners are not permitted in the banjo competition.
7. In case of a broken string, the contestant may replay.
8. In case of major tuning changes, the contestant may replay.
9. In case of a tie or extremely close score, the judges reserve the right to request a playoff.
10. All contestants must be West Virginia residents.
11. All winners are required to submit their social security number in order to collect their prize money. Prize money will be mailed in check form thirty working days following the contest.
12. Youth winners must have their own social security number to collect prize money. Parents' social security numbers will not be accepted.
13. Awards (for most contests) will take place following contest.
14. First place winners will not be eligible to compete in their winning category the following year. This does not include youth winners and the 60+ contest.
1. Intonation - Tuning and tonal qualities
2. Timing - Accurate and consistent rhythm
3. Difficulty - Complexity of selections
4. Technique - Dexterity in performance
5. Selection - Choice of tunes appropriate to category
A committee of acknowledged experts will judge all categories. Decisions of the judges will be final. Final scores will not be given to contestants.
Here's the Liars' Contest rules
Here's the Vandalia schedule of events